Chapter 55: The Real Deal

The Secretary of Supervision muttered to himself for a moment then stepped forward: "Your Majesty, after much contemplation, the only solution now is to choose another noble girl to marry instead."

Commander-in-Chief Pei rolled up his sleeves and his hands clenched into fists: "This method has already been tried! Princess Fukang recklessly became engaged while the Yelu tribe made trouble and did not let up! How many noble girls have been substituted, but not a single one could enter their eyes as they insisted on marrying Princess Fukang!"

The Secretary of Supervision calmly said: "It just so happens that in today's palace banquet, the capital's marriageable noble girls and the imperial family's daughters are all present. Why not choose one of them? With so many girls in the prime of youth, perhaps the Yelu tribe can see one or two. At worst, send more dowry and beauties as trousseau."

At those words, everyone's expression changed.

The female guests talking and laughing on the second floor were none other than the wives and children of these civil and military officials! It was their sisters, daughters, and granddaughters!

Who could bear to let the pearl in their palms marry to the grasslands?

Everyone inwardly cursed the Secretary of Supervision for babbling nonsense, but Li De showed a deep thoughtful look, seeming to be considering the Secretary's suggestion.

Several ministers whose daughters were at the right age sweated profusely but did not dare utter a word in this atmosphere.

Li De lifted his head and said, "It seems that this is the only way."

The ministers were so dejected that beads of sweat rolled down from their temples.

The inner attendant ran out of the inner hall in one step and headed for the second floor. Not a moment later, cries of fear and sobbing were heard from the second floor.

It was when the ministers were at their wit's end and under pressure that the sound of footsteps suddenly came from outside the door.

"Your Majesty, the Seventh Princess requests an audience."

The ministers were stunned.

Li De said, "Let her in."

Yaoying answered and entered the hall. Faced with the astonished gazes of the ministers, she approached Li De, leisurely bowed, and lifted her head: "Your Majesty, this child heard that Princess Fukang absconded, the Yelu tribe is furious, all the Hu are alarmed and restless, everything in a state of mutual hostility. This child cannot bear to see your noble daughters in fear and anxiety, and cannot bear to see the court raise their swords again because of this matter. So, I am willing to replace Princess Fukang and marry to placate the barbarians. "

The inner hall was quiet for a long time, so silent that a pin drop could be heard.

Commander-in-Chief Pei whispered: "Seventh Princess, you are my Pei family's daughter-in-law...."

Yaoying looked at Commander-in-Chief Pei.

"I am a princess of the Li family, a child of the Wei empire, a daughter of His Majesty, and a vassal of the emperor..."

She paused for a moment, her voice resounding: "Although this child is a woman, I also have the ambition to serve the country, willing to serve the country with this body without hesitation!"

The young lady's voice was delicate and soft, but the words were loud and clear, echoing in the empty inner hall, and in the hearts of every minister.