Chapter 106: Sultan Gu

The criminal execution ground was at the city gate. This was a place where all merchants must pass through to enter and exit the Holy City. People came and went, an endless stream of horses and carriages. Whenever the Regent executed a prisoner, the city gates would be crowded with spectators, so that not a single drop could leak through.

Today, Sultan Gu was going to execute a group of bandits who brutally killed an entire tribe. The notice had long been posted, so the main road under the city gate had been crowded with onlookers, their voices blending together.

Yaoying followed behind Bisha, riding out of the palace on horseback. The guards at the city gate knew Bisha and talked to him for a few minutes before allowing them to enter.

A group of prisoners with their arms tied and ropes around their neck were crouched under the city walls, soldiers on the standby.

A whistle came from in front of the city gates, and there was an abrupt silence outside the gates. Two soldiers came forward and pulled away two big and strong bandits from the group of prisoners, bringing them to the city tower.

The atmosphere was heavy and solemn. Not much later, a roar of approval rang out from outside the gate.

The two bandits were executed.

Yaoying heart was slamming in her chest. Taking a glance around, she saw Xie Peng and the others' figures in the crowd, her complexion paling.

Xie Peng also saw her, and his face went through huge changes. His lips mumbled a few times, lowering his head with his face full of shame. He then jerked his head up and shook his head at her.

Princess, don't save me.

Yaoying did not go forward. Composing herself, she followed Bisha to hurriedly climb the stairs.

A few soldiers stopped them, long swords swaying in their hands. They sternly barked, "Who is it?"

Bisha raised his face: "It's me. I want to see the Regent."

The soldier said in a cold voice: "The Regent is executing prisoners! General can come back in half a shichen!"

Bisha smiled good-naturedly, "You go and mention a word. Say that Bisha is here and with something important to report. The Regent will see me himself."

The soldier hesitated for a moment, turned around, and went to inform. A short while later, he came back, giving way and cupping his hands in salute.

Bisha took Yaoying and hastily climbed up the city tower. Turning around the sentry tower corner, they were greeted by a strong coppery wind blowing over.

Yaoying's breathing slowed at the smell. Forcing down her nausea, she continued to walk forward.

With a thud, something dropped down out and splattered on her veil, dress, and pomegranate skirt, wetting the hem and dripping to the floor.

An ominous coldness ran up her back. Yaoying's whole body went stiff and she looked down at her feet.

A human head had slipped away and rolled to her boots. Its long hair matted and spread out, expression sinister, tongue protruding, his red blood was all over the ground.

After a dead silence, a thunderous shout erupted from under the city tower, and the people were clapping and shouting.

Sultan Gu had just executed a bandit.

Bisha was startled and turned her head to see Yaoying's whole body drenched in blood. Even her veil was stained red. Feeling angry, sorry, and guilty all at once, he hastily reached out to support her, while turning back to scold Sultan Gu: "Regent, you scared Princess Wenzhao!"