Chapter 114: Leaving the Capital

A stillness like stagnant water.

Candle flames flickered around the room.

Against the scrutinizing eyes of the crowd, Li Zhongqian advanced step by step, his footsteps staggering slightly.

The Jin Wu Wei hesitated and, unsure of whether they should step forward to stop him, looked at Li De at the banquet's main seat.

Li De was tipsy, his face a bit flushed. Placing the wine glass down, his eyes slightly narrowed. He looked at the sickly-looking Li Zhongqian without making a sound.

Remaining in place, the Jin Wu Wei glanced at each other. Their hands moved to grip the hilt of their swords, and they stared at Li Zhongqian vigilantly.

The civil and military ministers at every table looked at each other with apprehension.

Prime Minister Zheng muttered disapprovingly, but sighed to himself, got up, and left the table. He carried a silver pot to welcome Li Zhongqian.

With a smile, he poured a cup of wine and handed it to Li Zhongqian, lowering his voice to say: "Princess Wenzhao has done great service to the country. It is a pity that the heavens envy the beauty. This cup of wine that is hers, should be drunk by you, her biological brother. Zhongqian, before Princess Wenzhao left to marry, the person she was most worried about was you."

The last sentence, spoken with deep sincerity, were his heartfelt words.

Princess Wenzhao had already died, using her marriage in exchange for her mother and elder brother's peace and safety in the latter half of their lives. If Li Zhongqian acted foolishly, wasn't the princess' sacrifice for nothing?

But Li Zhongqian did not feel the least bit grateful. Raising his eyes, a cold gleam flashed in his phoenix eyes. He glanced at Prime Minister Zheng as if he were looking at a dead man.

Prime Minister Zheng could feel his hair raising all over his body.

Li Zhongqian directly bypassed him and stumbled toward Li Xuanzhen's seat.

Li Xuanzhen glanced up and stared at him, not moving a muscle.

Both brothers were born with a pair of phoenix eyes. The four eyes met: one numb, the other gloomy.

An Eastern Palace official jumped up and stopped Li Zhongqian: "Grand Duke Wei, your seat is not here."

Li Xuanzhen waved his hand to indicate his vassal to back off.

The courtiers frowned and looked at each other.

Li Xuanzhen's expression turned colder and he said in a chilly tone: "Stand down!"

The ministers had to retreat.

Li Zhongqian's face twitched a few times and his palm flew at Li Xuanzhen.

There were shouts of alarm as the Jin Wu Wei flew forward.

With a crash, Li Zhongqian's fist brushed past Li Xuanzhen, and the whole person could not recover his momentum and fell to the carpet.

The Jin Wu Wei were frozen on the spot, and everyone stood up in astonishment. Looking at Li Zhongqian who was struggling to get up, they shook their head and sighed, their eyes filled with pity and sympathy.

Just now, they all saw that Li Xuanzhen did not move to dodge at all. At such a close distance, Li Zhongqian had not hurt Li Xuanzhen, but he was the one who collapsed. It seemed that Li Zhongqian was truly crippled-this was the person who never retreated from besieging and attacking, the boastful Li Zhongqian ah!