Chapter 156

The large fire was raging fiercely and thick smoke was billowing.

Looking at the fire's intensity, the entire inn was already burning beyond recognition; people were shouting and howling in the fierce fire, their cries filled with sorrow, despair, and hysteria.

Yao Ying thought of Xie Qing and the other guards left at the inn, feeling dizzy with a layer of cold sweat on her back.

As the night wind blew by, her body shivered lightly.

A voice sounded in her ears, "The people in the inn have left the city. The fire was set to warn us. Someone is launching a night attack."

It was cold and lacked any sense of urgency, yet it held a calming tranquility that soothed the heart.

Yao Ying suddenly felt a sense of relief and exhaled slowly. She believed in Sultan Gu – he was not one for many words, and if he said so, he must be quite certain.

There must be some secret code between him and the soldiers.

Yao Ying slowly came to her senses. "The night attackers are after us? Did Yuchi Damo leak the information?"

Sultan Gu shook his head.

A brilliant thought struck Yao Ying's mind. "They are after Jinbo! Could it be that Haidu Aling has already arrived in Gaochang?"

Yuchi Damo only knew that they were envoys sent by Tumoroga, but he wasn't aware of their identities. He was astute and flexible, delivering court documents to the royal court every year, using humble language and would not offend Tumoroga without cause. At least, he wouldn't attack them before the secret meeting; there must be another mastermind behind the night attack.

Yao Ying could only think of Haidu Aling.

Sultan Gu said, "It may not be his doing."

Yao Ying nodded, thinking of the arrogant guards around Jinbo. A sudden thought arose in her mind, "Perhaps when Jinbo left, Haidu Aling had already arranged assassins by his side. After Jinbo reaches Gaochang, the assassins took action immediately. Haidu Aling's people are from Northern Rong. Not only can they dispel suspicion, but they can also shift the blame to Yuchi Damo."

Valuing the honor of the wolf tribe descendants, Wakhan Khan was unwilling to harm others behind their backs. Haidu Aling did not have this taboo, not to mention that Jinbo and the others had set traps to kill him several times in the past. If it weren't for his exceptional martial skills, he would have been killed long ago at the hands of the brothers.

A hint of horror flashed through Yao Ying's eyes. She murmured, "If Haidu Aling has arranged assassins by the side of every prince......."

Without telling Wakhan Khan, the princes borrowed reinforcements to get rid of Haidu Aling. Haidu Aling took advantage of the scheme and stayed in Northern Rong while secretly sending killers to lurk around the princes.

In this way, not only would he sneakily eliminate his opponents, but he would also force people such as Yuchi Damo to join forces with him. By the time Wakhan Khan reacted, it would be too late to save the situation.

The more Yao Ying thought about it, the more frightened she became.

Haidu Aling is very ambitious. Once he replaced Wakhan and becomes the new Khan of Northern Rong, he will definitely send his troops to conquer the Central Plains. She hope Xie Qing remembers her instructions and saves Jin Bo. Although Jin Bo is stupid, he is Wakhan's son after all, so he might prove to be useful

  Sultan Gu turned his horse's head and led Yao Ying through the empty alleys. He had a quick reactions and manage to always avoid the patrolling guards.