Chapter 107: Xingxiang Festival

The day before the Xingxiang Festival, Ashina Bisha sent Yaoying back the jewels and jade that she had sent to the Hu merchants.

"They killed the slave for no reason, and they are also at fault. The city officials have investigated, but Xie Peng had injured people, so the fine can not be returned."

Yaoying was a little surprised and thanked Bisha.

Bisha shrugged his shoulders and said, "The laws of the Royal Court are not as strict and detailed as those of the Central Plains, and merchants can beat and kill slaves at will. The king has issued several injunctions but still could not stop this evil practice. It was not until the Regent killed a few nobles who killed slaves for fun that they restrained somewhat. This is still the situation in the Royal Court, within the king's jurisdiction. In other city-states, human life is less than a sheep."

Yaoying sighed softly.

In troubled times, whether in the Central Plains or beyond, it was always the same. Human life was like grass.

In the Western Regions, not only the Han Chinese were humiliated. Tribes annexed each other, and many tribes were enslaved and treated like animals by other tribes, living worse than pigs and dogs.

The Central Plains needed a strong and unified empire, and so did the Western Regions.

Bisha clapped his hands and two maids came into the courtyard in response, holding boxes in their hands.

"I was not careful that day, and Princess's clothes were completely soiled. This is what I specially prepare for the princess."

Bisha said with a smile as he pointed to the box.

Yaoying politely declined, "General has run around for me, and I have not yet thanked you. I dare not let General spend money."

Bisha waved his hand and interrupted her, "If you want to thank me, how about accompanying me to the Buddhist temple for the Xingxiang Festival tomorrow, when all the men, women, and children in the city will be dressed up to worship Buddha? You have never looked around the Holy City, right? It's a good opportunity for me to show my hospitality as a host."

Yaoying hesitated for a moment. Ashina Bisha had worked very hard for her these days, going through a lot of trouble. She should thank him, and furthermore, they were going to travel together to Gaochang after the puja, so she nodded and agreed. It was unsuitable for her to go out, but if she had Bisha, a noble of the Royal Court, with her, Xueyana should not dare to come up to provoke her.

A brilliant smile immediately spread across Bisha's face: "I asked the maids to prepare a festival dress for the princess, princess try it on. If it does not fit, have them alter it."

After saying that, he added, "This is the dress made according to the princess' measurements. By all means, do not be polite with me. As the king's guest, Princess is also my guest."

Seeing Yaoying's eyes lowered, seemingly thinking of a reason to refuse, he lightly raised his thick eyebrows and deliberately put on a solemn expression, "Does the princess really want to see me sad and upset?"

Yaoying smiled, thanked him, and gestured for her personal soldiers to take the box. She did not immediately go back to the house to change into the new clothes but asked about another matter.

"The Regent Sultan Gu, whom I saw on the city tower that day, is a close follower of Buddha's son?"

Bisha's eyes flickered slightly. Nodding, he said with a smile, "Did the Regent scare the princess? Princess need not fear him. He rewards and punishes clearly. Moreover, he is very loyal to the king."