Chapter 66: Banner

The trumpet sounded long and loud in the sky.

The warriors were well-trained. Hearing the warning horn, they immediately reined in their horses. The Eldest Prince, who was at the forefront, yanked on his reins and turned back with a frown.

His men urged their horses to wildly head back and shouted in Turkic towards the Eldest Prince: "Fuman, that is a caravan from the Royal Court! The subjects of the Buddha's son!"

The Eldest Prince's face sank.

On the hillside, Yaoying raised her eyebrows in surprise.

The Eldest Prince, who saw caravans then would loot, who saw tribes then would plunder, actually put down the fat sheep that was practically in their grasp and turned back.

He spat towards the caravan. He seemed like he cursed angrily, turned his horse around under the advice of his men, and led the warriors back.

And the caravan, with its banner, soon regained order. The Hu merchants returned to the front of the procession, and the pipa sounded again.

They seemed to have no regard for the brutal Eldest Prince and continued to gallop to the riverbank.

It was as if nothing had happened.

Their calmness in this situation carried a certain condescending sort of arrogance.

Yaoying went down the hill and returned to the Yelu tribe.

The subordinate whispered in front of the tent, advising the Eldest Prince.

The Eldest Prince's face was gloomy.

The subordinate could not help but raise his voice: "Fuman, have you forgotten the Khan's warning?"

The Eldest Prince glanced sorrowfully at the distant caravan and stormed off in a huff.

A short while later, there came the tragic braying of some steeds. The Eldest Prince was whipping them at the riverside to vent his anger.

The Wusun horse was frightened and made a restless snorting sound.

Yaoying stroked her beloved colt's neck to soothe it and lifted her head to look at the arrogant caravan not far away.

The people in the caravan were not large in number. Except for a dozen Hu merchants wearing brocade robes and felt hats, the remaining thirty or so were guards wearing light armor and carrying curved swords and arrow pouches at their waists.

Unlike the light riding clothes worn by the warriors of the Yelu tribe, the silver light armor worn by the merchant guards was exquisitely crafted and gorgeous. It was unlike armor, but more like formal robes. The black brocade small-sleeved robe under the armor had silver swirling patterns embroidered on it.

In Liangzhou, the only people who could afford to wear this kind of clothing were the chiefs of the various tribes.

Obviously, this was a wealthy merchant caravan.

No wonder the Eldest Prince was so excited when he saw them.

The Eldest Prince was tyrannical and merciless, greedy and insatiable, why did he suddenly stop?

Yaoying looked around and saw the flag that had scared off the Eldest Prince. The snow-white banner was covered with gold and silver embroidery with magnificent golden patterns.

Many people in the Yelu tribe believed in Zoroastrianism. The battle flag was black and red, with extraordinary momentum.

The banner the guards held was surprisingly white.