Chapter 112: Return to the Capital

The city gate was bustling with activity.

It was a warm spring day, and there was an endless stream of luxurious horses and magnificent carriages traveling out of the city to enjoy the scenery. As far as the eye could see, dust flew into the air and colorful curtains fluttered into the sky.

By the side of the main road, merchant fleets waiting to enter the city were in a winding line, twisting and turning. The end could not be seen.

A flourishing scene in a time of peace and prosperity.

When the carriage of Grand Duke Wei, Li Zhongqian, drove into the Imperial City, the people on both sides of the road recognized the Xie family's banner. Those who were leaving the city stopped their carriages and horses, unable to help themselves from stopping and watching.

The guards with swords riding in front of and behind the carriage all wore mourning clothes. In mourning garments from head to toe, they carried solemn looks.

They were in mourning for Princess Wenzhao.

The people were talking, whispering: I heard that Grand Duke Wei was seriously wounded, his martial arts skills completely ruined; he can never go to war again. His only full-blooded sister died in a foreign country. It is truly pitiful and unfortunate!

In the midst of the discussion, the carriage curtains didn't move in the wind, hanging low the entire time. The Second Prince, who liked to ride galloping into the city atop a fine steed after every victory, seemed ashamed to see people. His face didn't appear from beginning to end.

The people watched the carriage drive away, recalling the glowing, heroic Second Prince. They looked at each other, shook their heads, and sighed.

The news soon reached the Taiji Palace. A eunuch entered the hall to inform.

Li De frowned and said, "Have the Thousand Bull Guards watch him."

The eunuch responded yes, and the order was passed down to the Thousand Bull Guards. Caught off guard, they hurriedly gathered their men and rushed out of the inner palace to meet him.

A shichen later, hundreds of guards in military attire, both the Left and Right Thousand Guards and the Left and Right Valor Guards were standing in front of the Grand Duke Wei Residence. Waiting in a tight formation, swords flashing in the doorway, the guards stood in wait everywhere from the main street to the square.

Zheng Jing and Xue Wu hastily answered the summons and waited in front of the front gate.

The young boys who used to chase the Seventh Princess on horseback were now officials in the same court, both in green round-necked official robes.

Xue Wu looked nervous, unceasingly wiping his sweat.

Zheng Jing glanced at him: "What are you afraid of?"

Xue Wu returned a blank stare: "Zheng San, are you not afraid of Grand Duke Wei? Who was it that fell off their horse in fear of Grand Duke Wei back then?"

Hearing him bring up the old story, Zheng Jing swallowed his words back.

Yes, he also feared Li Zhongqian-which of the noble sons who admired Princess Wenzhao were not afraid of Li Zhongqian?

Princess Wenzhao was gentle and elegant. She and Li Zhongqian were both born from Noble Consort Xie, but he was domineering and rude. The skies ranked first, the land second, and him third. His actions regularly shocked everyone, garnering the world's disgrace.

In the two years that Princess Wenzhao received marriage proposals, more than half of the sons of influential clans were beaten to within an inch of their lives by Li Zhongqian.