Chapter 14: Finalize the Marriage

There was a rush of footsteps from the corridor, and a palace attendant brought an invitation card written with gold: "Your Highness, the Chief Historian said that General Zhao and the others have reserved Miaoyin Pavilion and are waiting for you!"

  Li Zhongqian returned to his senses and accepted the invitation.

  Yaoying grinned.

  Li Zhongqian's nature was one that lived in the moment. Visiting brothels on horseback, spending thousands of gold to make beauties smile1. Moreover, he had not yet married a main consort. Excluding times of war, he would often wine and dine all night with his subordinates.

  The men of the Li family were all very vigorous.

  With the army's return in triumph, Li Zhongqian was expected to celebrate soon.

  Yaoying urged her brother, "Elder brother, don't have wine on an empty stomach. Have some soup cakes before you drink. Also, have less wine. Excessive drinking hurts your body."

  He would drink a thousand cups of wine, drinking until he was completely wasted every time.

  Li Zhongqian listened to her instructions and his fingers curled up, smilingly scratching the tip of her nose.

  "I remember, housekeeper."

  Yaoying sent him out.

  Li Zhongqian pushed her into the inner hall: "Don't worry about me. You've had a tiring day, settle down early. Tomorrow, elder brother will bring you your favorite mutton hubing from Chongren Square."

  Yaoying's eyes twinkled and she took the opportunity to lean on his shoulder to request in a spoiled tone, "I also want to have the handmade puff pastry made by Granny Zhang at the fruit store opposite his house."

  (His meaning the person selling the hubing)

  Li Zhongqian said without having to think, "Okay."

  Yaoying's voice was even softer and sweeter: "Elder brother, buy me another pot of Luyi wine, I love rice wine."

Li Zhongqian raised his eyebrows.

  Yaoying shook his arm and stretched her voice: "Elder brother, please!"

  Li Zhongqian lowered his head and twisted the tip of her nose: "Don't even think about it!"

  Yaoying scowled.

  Li Zhongqian was very obedient to her. Whatever she wanted, he would give, but this was the only thing he was strict about. Even the guards had been warned by him to keep an eye on her, forbidding her from touching wine.

  The last time she had wine was last year.

  Enjoying while one still could, and also not knowing how long they would live, what's wrong with having a drink?

  He drank wine like it was water, but did not allow her to touch it.

  Yaoying let go of Li Zhongqian's sleeve in resentment and turned around to go inside.

  Just two steps away, there was a soft laugh in her ear. Li Zhongqian's solid arm hooked over and gently wrapped around her waist.

He was used to using double hammers, as strong as an ox. Yaoying's whole body was carried around and hit the thin armor on his chest head on.

  Li Zhongqian held Yaoying steady and touched the small head on his chest.

  "Really grew taller."