XLIII. Mid-Summer

AS THEO SAID, if Clara becomes the exclusive pharmacist for the Crown Prince, then she won't be mocked as the family's 'freeloader' any longer

Isaac is currently bursting with anticipation, imagining that he'll be able to stay by my side every day. And Louis, who has been acting like a stranger, spending all of his time roaming around out of the house, has been caught by our mom and is now diligently staying at home.

"His Highness Alex looked happy as well."

The day my entrance into the palace was confirmed, Alex showed a bright, genuine smile for the first time in a long while. Alex was extremely serious and cold in front of the Emperor and when he smiled, everyone around him blushed involuntarily.

"It would be nice if he smiled a little more."

It's only right for such a beautiful smile to be spread around as a public service for the benefit of the people. Theo, who heard what I said, shrugged and shook his head.

"His Highness Alex is a cold man by nature."

I know that. When we first met, he kept staring at me with an expression of displeasure.

Still, I think his impression has softened considerably. Theo speaks while fixing my hair.

"He mostly kept away from others, so there was no one around him. But it's definitely changed these days."

"Because he left for the battlefield?"

"I think there's probably another reason..."

Leaving it at that, Theo surely fixed my hair. He's such a delicate brother.

"There you are, Ciel."

After a minute, Clara stopped by Theo's room in order to find me. My sister is also busy preparing to leave our beloved house and enter the palace.

"Ciel would never do anything to harm me."

How could I hate a sister who has such endless trust in me? Clara fiddled with the hair that Theo had fixed.

"What were you two talking about that was so interesting?"

"Oh, that is..." I had decided not to talk about politics with Clara. My sister, whose face revealed everything she was thinking, couldn't lie.

"I was, uh... talking about marriage with Theo."

Well, we had been talking about what would happen if I married Stan anyway. Since our conversation had been abruptly cut off and because of what I said, Clara misunderstood what I meant.

"Theo, are you getting married?"

"No! I'm not!"

My precious, flustered brother Theo... His face turned bright red like a boiled octopus because he didn't know what to do. Clara is quite good at reading the room and she immediately realized that I had been joking.