Chapter 36: Scales

(Hey, guys! New chapter. I hope you all enjoy, and have a good holiday season!

Stirring slightly, I yawn loudly and roll over in my sleep. Feeling arms wrap around me and pull me closer, I softly smiles and shift closer, my mind registering it as Ludwig. Relaxing in the strong but gentle grip, I slowly crack my eyes open, unable to fall back asleep. Seeing tan skin and messy pink locks, I quickly become aware of my surroundings. Looking up, I see that the person I was sleeping with was not Ludwig, but Roy. Gasping, I scramble away and nearly fall out of bed. Feeling something wrap around my ankles, I tense up and push the skirt of my wrinkled tennis dress down out of instinct. As I'm pulled up on the bed, I eek in shock as I land into Roy's arms. Looking up at him, I blush and pull away, looking away in hopes that he wouldn't notice.

“Mornin’, toots.” My blush worsens at the nickname as a slight frown forms on my lips.
“Please don't call me that.”

“...no good mornin’ to yer hero?” Rolling my eyes, I stretch a bit before looking at him. A smug, yet soft smile is on his lips, his left eye still looking a bit bleary and dazed. “C’mon, don't be shy…” Rolling my eyes, I look away, the heat finally fading from my face.

“...Morning.” Grinning, he pats my head before getting up and stretching. I quickly look down, face warm. “We should be at my fortress now. Wanna go in, or do ya wanna lay down fer a bit longer?” I shrug, indifferent to what we do. Nodding, he lays back down and stares up at the ceiling quietly. “...can I ask ya somethin’?..” I nod, sitting beside him. “...why Ludwig?”

“Whaddya mean?...” He sits up and looks at me, a stern expression on his features.

“I'm not as dumb as ya think. I've seen th’ way ya two are ‘round each other.” My face heats up as I turn away, flustered by his comment. “What I wanna know...is why ya wanna be with him. I mean...it's not like I'm jealous or anything...as if! But...yer a princess, so t’ speak. And, well, me an’ th’ others are just...underlings. Surely a girl like ya has t’ have good taste.”

“Well, if I was to still be with my family, they would be the ones to pick my husband. It didn't matter if I liked him or not. So, the fact that I'm estranged from them is...a relief, truthfully. And I get to decide things for myself, so I'm taking advantage of that. But...as for why Ludwig, I…” I pause, thinking. Gathering my thoughts, I slowly piece my next sentences together. “He was my first friend when I joined you guys. He's helping me realize that I need to enjoy life, and do what I want without fear. He's...odd, but it's funny to see how he can go from proud to embarrassed with a few words. It's...it's just the way he is.” Glancing at him, I realize just how much I had said and look away again. “Sorry. I didn't mean to ramble.”

“Don't worry ‘bout it! I was just wonderin’. I don't know much ‘bout love-hell, I ain't ever loved anyone before. But, I feel like ya should be happy with someone before ya decide to try an’ be with them like dat...ya know?” I nod, giving him a soft smile.

“Yeah...thanks, Roy. You can be pretty smart at times. It's just hidden away up there.” His cheeks flush slightly and he awkwardly smiles.

“Ya really think so?”

“Yeah. Everyone's good at something. Whatever you're good at is what you're smart with. Or something like that.” He grins before pulling me into a gentle headlock, patting my head.

“Thanks. Ya know how t’ cheer a person up.” I smile before pulling out and getting up.

“Shall we go?” He nods, getting up and getting dressed. Looking down at my outfit, my eyes widen in fear as I notice that there are small scales on the back of my hands and creeping up my arms. “R-Roy…!” Hearing the distress in my voice, he turns to me, worried.

“What is it?..” I offer him my hands, revealing the scales. His eyes widen as he stares at them before looking at me. “Any idea on how this happened?...”

“I...I used Larry's wand…” His eyes widen.

“Ya did?...” I nod, looking down. Hearing his footsteps approach, I remain still, and let out a soft gasp as he hugs me. “‘ey, don't worry. I'm sure it's nothin’ too serious. Alright?...” I hesitantly nod, pulling away. He pats my shoulder and softly smiles.

“Alright...I hope you're right.” He grins before stepping over to where his vest is. Picking it up, he swings it over his head and pulls it on, in a classic “cool boy” fashion. Putting his shades on, he turns to me and grins.

“Now, let's go ahead an’ go out to my fortress.”

And now, an update on our dearest Ludwig...

Putting a blue gem into the groove of the metal, I pull my wand out and enchant it as well. Putting it with the ring, I smile warmly.

"So far, so good..." Putting the jewelry in the guest room, I place it with the gown that was made. "Perfect...now, I know that my dear, sweet (F/n) will never leave me." Softly sighing, I head to my room and lay down, exhausted from working all night. Staring at the ceiling, I drift off to sleep, my dreams filled with me and (F/n)...together.