Chapter 64: Decisions, Decisions

(Hey guys!! Happy late holidays and happy early New Year's! I finally got a chance to update this story - work has been AWFUL lately and I've been getting a lot more hours than usual - and I'm sorry for not updating sooner. We are finally getting into the last few chapters of this story, which is a shame. 

When I started this about 2 years ago, it was mostly something fun that I thought would last for only 10 chapters maximum. But, I'm really happy with the direction this story took. It's taken a long time to complete, and I'm not sure if all the loose ends have been tied. but if there are any that do need to be closed or anything that you all want to see resolved, just let me know and I'll do it all in these last chapters. 

Now, this is the last point of the story that follows the "canon" tale, and this is where the path splits. There are going to be two options off of this chapter, and two more options on one of those, resulting in three other endings. There is a true ending, but whatever ending you all pick is up to you. 

And to follow up on the poll I created alongside last chapter's post, most people voted for an Iggy story after this, which I will begin as soon as I can. Thank you all so much for being here and reading this, and I hope you all continue to stick around as I continue to write my shitty fanfics for you all. 

Now, let's get to the story, shall we?)

__________________________________________________________________________

I sit down in the large, horse-drawn chariot that had been sent to the Mushroom Kingdom by my parents, holding Sandy in my lap. Luigi was sitting to my right, and Peach and Mario were sitting across from us, along with two of the Mushroom Kingdom's guards. As I look out the window, I watch as the door closes and the crowd cheers and waves us off as the cart begins to move, taking us to our destination. As the blue sky and puffy white clouds roll by above the lush green landscape, I look back down at Sandy, who's staring outside in awe. Noticing his expression, I softly smile down at him and pat his head.

"Have you ever seen the Mushroom Kingdom before, Sandy?..."

"No, I haven't....it's really pretty! It's a lot like Larry's kingdom, but...it looks to be...happier." Noticing the change in his tone, I gently kiss the top of his head before hugging him.

"Don't worry, Sandy. I'm sure that the Dark Kingdom will find happiness like this. Okay? Just gotta keep your chin up and keep your hopes up." He nods, seeming to smile up at me, before looking out the window once more. Feeling someone tap my shoulder, I turn to look at Luigi, who's taken his hat off and is nervously wringing it in his hands.

"...hey, (F/n)...I-I'm sorry about everything that happened...I hope everything will end up good for all of us."

"...so do I, Luigi." I softly sigh as I look down at my lap, my stomach churning from the worry and dread of returning home. Feeling Sandy's hand touch my arm, I look at him and force a smile before patting his hand gently.

"...(F/n), you, uh....mentioned something about the Dark Kingdom finding happiness again, right?....D-do you mind if I ask what you mean by that?..." I look at the group to see that Mario and Peach have stopped their conversation as well, everyone silent and waiting for me to answer. Nervously swallowing, I take a deep breath before looking to Sandy. He gives me a reassuring nod and I gently take his hand before turning back to the others.

"...now, uhh, while I was with the Koopalings, one of them told me the history of the kingdoms. The true history. About the Dark and Sun Kingdoms. About how us humans....took their peace and land from them, and brought about the end of the Sun Kingdom. And the citizens of the Dark Kingdom...they've been in a state of depression for many decades because of it." Mario speaks up, a brow raised in suspicion.