Chapter Four: Family Ties

Elena wakes up when she hears a noise. She walks downstairs. "Hello? Jeremy? Hello?"

She goes to the living room when she hears the TV. "This is Logan Fell coming to you live from the streets of Mystic Falls with breaking news of another deadly animal attack. The wild animal terrorizing the citizens of Mystic Falls has claimed another victim, local high school student Elena Gilbert. Police are certain that forensic evidence will confirm that this is the same animal responsible for recent attacks."

"You know what's coming next." Damon says from behind her. She runs towards the door to escape but Damon appears in front of her. She screams.

Stefan snaps awake from his nightmare. "Ah!"

"Bad dream?" Damon asks, sitting on a chair across the room.

"Ah." Stefan regains his breath.

"Do you know how easy it was to get into your head just now? You really need some human blood. It might even the playing field. Football reference. Too soon." Damon mocks.

Stefan launches a knife at Damon, hitting him in the chest.

Damon looks down at it and pulls it out. "All right, I deserved that. But I just wanted to let you know, they caught the culprit. The animal responsible for killing Coach Tanner and all those people." He stands from his seat, twiddling the knife.

"What are you talking about?" Stefan gets out of bed.

"It was a mountain lion. Really big one." He holds his hands out. "It attacked a hunter this morning. It's all over the news. 'Deadly beast captured. All's well in Mystic Falls.'"

"Why would you cover your tracks?"

"I've decided to stay a while. I'm just having way too much fun here with you and Elena."

"Can't touch her now." Stefan reminds him.

"Well, the vervain keeps me out of her head. Maybe that's not my target. Believe it or not, Stefan, some girls don't need my persuasion. Some girls just can't resist my good looks, my style and my charm and my unflinching ability to listen to Taylor Swift. Except maybe Trinity." He says. "You know, with her being gay and all. But all hope is not lost." He stabs Stefan in the stomach. Stefan groans, and almost falls to his knees. "This is John Varvatos, dude. Dick move." Damon says, leaving.

Stefan writes in his diary as he listens to the sheriff on TV. "I can confirm that a 12-Foot puma mountain lion attacked a hunter and was subsequently shot and killed. The hunter is in stable condition."

'The real animal is still out there, waiting for me, challenging me to fight back, to stop him. But how do I stop a monster without becoming one myself?' He writes.

Jenna watches the reporter on the TV. "To repeat, the animal terrorizing Mystic Falls has been caught."

"Scum ball. Scum bucket." Jenna says.

"Who are you talking to?" Elena asks, walking in.

"Him." Jenna motions towards the screen. "The news guy, also known as Logan 'Scum' Fell. Did your mom ever tell you why I moved away from Mystic Falls?"

Elena looks at the screen. "Oh, no way. You and him? He's cute."

"He is not cute. There's nothing cute about him. What are you doing with that?" She asks, seeing the box in Elena's hands.

"I went yesterday and got it from the safe deposit box. Mom had told Mrs. Lockwood she would loan it to the founder's council for their heritage display.