Chapter Seventy-Nine: Into The Wild

One Year Ago

Atticus Shane runs through the woods, fleeing. A man with tribal face paint chases after him. Shane comes to a stop on a large pile of rock and spots a cave entrance. Relieved, he runs to the shelter and looks behind him. His pursuer is nowhere to be found. He turns on a flashlight and enters the cave, observing his new surroundings. The walls are marked with strange writings and he notices a large hole in the middle of the cave.

Present Day

Shane stands on the beach, looking on at the island as the others unload from the boats on the shore. "Congratulations." He says to himself. "We made it."

The others continue to unload, each with varying expressions of uncertainty and curiosity on their faces as they take in their new surroundings.

Damon sharpens a knife and looks up at the approaching Professor. "Couldn't they have hidden this cure in Hawaii? Where the hell did you take us?"

"Two hundred miles off the Nova Scotia mainland. If you recall, the whole point was to hide the cure on the world's most obscure, desolate island."

"Oh yeah? I thought the whole point was that no one found Silas, the oldest, deadliest freak in the world."

"Yeah, that too." He holds up a bottle of sunscreen to Damon. "Sunscreen?"

"Is that a joke?" Damon asks, unamused.

"Right."

Stefan ties a knot of rope, while Rebekah glares at a passing Elena. "You know, you're not really helping." He says.

"You're perfectly capable of tying a knot."

"You giving Elena the evil eye, it's not really helping."

"She killed my brother, tried to get you to put a dagger in my back. She's lucky all she's getting is the evil eye."

"You know I can hear you, right?" Elena asks.

"You know I don't care, right?" Rebekah shoots back. Elena stops walking and flashes towards Rebekah, grabbing her neck and aiming the white oak stake at her chest but Rebekah flips her over and pushes her to the ground. "Go ahead, try and kill me. But then you'd have to face your real problems. Like the fact that Stefan invited me here, himself. I guess he likes me again." She walks off.

Stefan offers a hand to help Elena up, but she ignores him and storms away. She shoves the white oak stake into her bag.

Damon walks up to her. "Looks like someone forgot her team-building exercises."

"I'm not apologizing for not wanting her here."

"You know Stefan just brought her here to make it seem like he's moving on. He wants you to think that he's over you, and he wants me to think that I can't get under his skin."

"You know, you're right." She says. "With any luck, I'll only have to tolerate her for a few more days, and then we'll find the cure and I'll never have to deal with her again."

"Human Rebekah..." Damon ponders. "I can't imagine her without fangs."

Elena looks at him. "You know, you've never talked about what you'll do with the cure, once we find it. Will you take it?"

"I don't like to speculate." He avoids the question.

Bonnie snaps a picture of Jeremy's tattoo with her phone. "Sorry, if there was a less awkward way to do this, I would."

"Doesn't bother me," Jeremy tells her, making her smile.

"These symbols must have been left for the hunters, so they can find the cure. And this must be the story of Qetsiyah and Silas. According to Shane, Silas asked Qetsiyah for help making a spell for immortality. She helped make him immortal, only to learn that he planned to use the same spell on another woman, not her. When she found out, she freaked."