Chapter Thirty Two: The Sacrifice

Trinity opens her eyes, seeing the dark features of the tomb around her. She sits up, looking for her clothes.

"Leaving so soon?" Katherine asks.

"Time's up." She says as she begins to get dressed.

"Oh right, you're back to being mad at me." Katherine says as she begins to get dresses as well.

Trinity sighs. "You can't fault me for wanting my friends to live, just like I can't fault you for doing what you have to survive. But this will probably be our last peaceful moment."

"Just like that?" She asks. Trinity; now dressed, nods. "Fine."

Trinity begins to leave the tomb when Katherine pulls her back, kissing her. "I hope you don't die." She says.

A small smile tugs at Trinity's lips. "I'll miss you too." She says, kissing her again before closing the door.

Elena awakens from her slumber when she hears a noise coming from inside the house. Her bedroom door is slightly ajar. Elena lies back down, turns over in her bed, and shuts her eyes. In the bathroom, a towel is rustled by movement. Jonas appears in the doorway, looking at Elena. She jolts out of bed when she hears a door slamming loudly. Jonas has disappeared from the bathroom. Elena gets out of bed and slowly walks across her room. She quietly opens her door and walks out onto the landing. She looks around the landing for anything suspicious and quietly approaches Jeremy's room, looking in through the slight opening of the door. Suddenly, Elena hears a noise from behind her. She gasps and spins around. Alaric, shirtless and in his boxers, has also been startled by Elena's unexpected appearance on the landing. Elena and Alaric both try to catch their breath after the scare.

"Elena. Ahem." Alaric lowers the ice cream bowl he's been holding towards his nether region.

"I heard something." She says. He chuckles nervously. Elena avoids his gaze, embarrassed. Jenna walks up the stairs, wearing Alaric's shirt.

She runs her hand through her hair, embarrassed as well. "That was us. I'm sorry."

In Elena's bedroom, Jonas pulls out a handkerchief and collects some of Elena's hair from her brush.

"We didn't think anyone else was up." Alaric says.

"But here you are." Jenna adds.

"We were just..." He tries to explain the situation to Elena, but fails in his attempt. He sighs and holds out the ice cream bowl to Elena. "Chunky Monkey?"

Jonas also grabs some of Elena's jewelry and places it in the handkerchief. He folds the handkerchief and places it in his coat pocket.

"Well..." He chuckles nervously. "I'm naked. So I'm gonna go." Alaric walks past Elena and into Jenna's bedroom, shutting the door behind him. Elena starts to walk back towards her room.

Jenna, embarrassed, walks up the remainder of the stairs. "I'm really, really sorry." She says.

Elena turns around when she reaches her doorway. "It's okay, Jenna, don't worry about it."

"I know he's been staying over a lot. Are you...are you sure it's okay?"

"Seems like things are good."

Jenna smiles. "They're extremely good."

"Then I'm extremely okay with it."

Jonas, still in Elena's bedroom, grabs a picture of Elena in her cheerleading uniform, places it inside his jacket, and leaves the room quickly.

Jenna and Elena smile at each other and go back to their respective rooms. Elena gets into her bed. Jonas quietly hides in the bathroom, waiting for Elena to shut her eyes. Elena curls up in her blankets and drifts off to sleep. Jonas heads out of the bathroom, stopping to take a hand mirror, before he exits, placing the mirror in the waistband of his pants. He walks out of the bathroom, onto the landing, descends the stairs, and exits the house without a soul knowing he was there.