Chapter Twenty Two: Founder's Day

Elena is getting dressed the for Founder's Day Parade. She puts her necklace on as Jenna helps Elena get into her dress. "Ouch, this dress hurts." She says as Jenna tightens the corset.

"Suck it in, baby."

At the high school everybody is preparing for Founder's Day. Carol Lockwood is supervising. "No, no, no, no, no! It's all wrong! The marching band should be in front of the Historic Society. Matt, get up on the float. Boys, I asked you to put chairs on the Founder's Float. Ladies! Time to get on the float." She says.

Stefan is standing alone, waiting when Damon walks up next to him. "Look at you, all retro." He says.

"What are you doing here?" Stefan sighs.

"Why wouldn't I be here? Bonnie deactivated the Gilbert invention, Isobel is gone and it's Founder's Day! I'm here to eat cotton candy and steal your girl."

"Don't start with me, Damon."

"Oh, you started this Stefan with that whole 'I'm insecure, leave Elena alone' speech. I'm enjoying that."

"As long as you heard it."

"What? You have no sense of humor, Stefan."

"Actually I've no sense of 'Damon humor'."

"'Damon humor'... Hey look, I get it, I get it. I'm the better, hotter, superior choice and you're scared, now that Katherine is out of the picture, that I'm gonna turn all my attention to Elena. But don't worry, Elena is not Katherine."

"You're right, she's not."

Just then, they see Elena approaching, looking exactly like Katherine. They are both awestruck. She smiles at them and curtsies.

Trinity walks up to them and sees Elena. "Wow. That must be quite a head trip."

Jeremy is in his bedroom, putting his clothes on for Founder's day when Anna walks in. "Anna." He smiles.

"Look at you." She drags her eyes up and down his frame.

"I know, it's stupid, huh? I'm part of the parade; but how are you? I've been so worried and I feel awful."

"Why? You didn't kill my mother, your uncle did."

"Are you sure it was him?"

"Who else would have done it?"

"He doesn't understand, Anna, it's who he is. He hates all vampires. He's just doing what he thinks is right."

"Are you defending him?"

"No, no way. It's just...I do understand where he's coming from. He's convinced all the tomb vampires want revenge on this town and he's just...he's trying to protect it."

"They do want revenge, or at least they did, but that's why we separated from them. My mom wasn't after revenge; she just wanted her life back. I have to get out of this town, Jeremy."

"You're leaving?"

"I've been thinking...you could come with me. I could turn you. I mean...you said you wanted me to. Here." She gives him a vile of blood. "It's my blood. If you die with it in your system, you'll come back."

"Anna..."

"I know you, what it's like for you...being alone, always feeling empty inside, no one to understand. But when you're a vampire, you don't have to feel that way. You can shut it off. I can show you how."

"I wanted to, I did." He turns away from Anna, missing the sad look on her face. "But I don't think I can. Sorry." He looks at the vile and looks up to see that Anna is gone.