Chapter Eighteen: Under Control

Loud music plays while Stefan exercises in his bedroom.

Damon enters with a glass of blood in his hands. "Could you turn it up a little bit? It's not annoying yet."

"Sorry." Stefan says.

Damon switches off the music. "When are you going back to school?"

"Soon." He answers while doing push-ups.

"Oh come on. Just drink already. Come on, this self-detox is not natural." He puts the glass next to Stefan.

"Can you get that away from me please?"

"How long did it take you to wean yourself of it the last time you indulged?" Damon asks. Stefan ignores him. "That's not good."

"I'll be fine; it just takes a little bit of time."

"I don't get it; you know, you don't have to kill to survive. That's what blood banks are for. I haven't hunted in a human in...God, way too long."

"Oh, I'm impressed." Stefan rolls his eyes.

"It's completely self-serving. I'm trying to get the town off the trail of vampires which is not very easy considering that there is an entire tomb of them running around."

"What are we planning on doing about that?"

"We are not going to do much of anything if you don't have your strength. There's nothing wrong with partaking in a healthy diet of human blood from a blood bank. You're not actually killing anyone."

"I have my reasons."

"Well, what are those holier than thou reasons? You know, we never actually discussed this. You know, I'd- I'd love to hear this story." Damon sits down on the couch.

"You're really enjoying this, aren't you? Watching me struggle?"

"Very much so." Damon smiles.

"I hate to break it to you Damon but...I actually have it under complete control."

"You do? Well, then you should just carry on, making the rest of us vampires look bad." He gets up. "Have a great day, Stefan." He leaves the glass of blood on the table. Stefan stares at the glass. Damon returns. "Oh, hey, almost forgot something. Oops." He takes the glass and leaves. He drinks and relishes in the taste of the blood.

Elena is walking out of the house. "Come on Jeremy, going to school! Walking out the door now!"

Jenna walks up to her. "Forgot this." She hands her a thermos.

"Thank you." She opens the door and sees her uncle John, his hand poised to knock.

"Elena!" He smiles.

"Uncle John! Hi." She greets, an awkward smile on her face.

"Jenna." He greets.

"John, you made it." Jenna feigns happiness.

"I said I'll be here before noon." He enters the house.

"Oh what you say and what you do are typically two very different things."

Jeremy comes down the stairs. "Uncle John, what's up?"

"Hey!" He smiles. Jeremy slaps him on the shoulder and leaves. "I had some business in town; I thought that a visit was in order."

"How long are you staying?" Elena asks.

"I don't know yet."

"Ok, well, I'm gonna go to school, I'll see you later." She leaves, exchanging a look with Jenna as she closes the door.