Chapter Forty Seven: The End of the Affair

Stefan brushes a strand of hair from Trinity's face. "How are you?" He asks.

"The whispers are getting worse." She tells him. "It's getting harder to block them out."

"What are they saying?"

She shakes her head. "I don't know. The few times that I'm able to make them out, they're in another language."

"Have you been seeing things again?"

"No...at least I don't think so. We're always in public. Or if we're in the woods, I dismiss it as a trick of light."

"It's going to be okay."

She sighs. "It's only going to get worse."

"I'll be here for you." He says. "When it feels like it's getting bad, just grab onto me. Squeeze my hand and I'll squeeze back."

She nods. "Ok."

At the boarding house, Damon's phone rings and he answers it. "You're interrupting my drink."

"You miss me?" He hears.

"Katherine. Where are you?"

"Lurking outside your window, pining away."

"What do you want?"

"I'm homesick. What have I missed?"

"Well, Stefan and Trinity are still Klaus' little prisoners and Elena still thinks she can save them and no one's thought about you since you left."

"And what about you? I'm sure now that you've given up on your brother; you're plotting some sort of way of moving in on his girlfriend. Trinity must be collateral damage."

"I didn't give up on him or Trinity. I just don't know where they are."

"Hmm."

"But you do. Are you trailing them?"

"A hybrid who wants me dead, his sidekick who's off the rails, and the shapeshifter who's sanity drifts away more and more each day? I couldn't be further away."

"Which means you know exactly where they are."

"All I know is that Klaus pitched a fit once his hybrids didn't work. Now he's looking for some answers."

"How do you know that?"

"Spend 500 years running, and there will be a few people along the way that are looking out for you."

"Is that what you're doing? Looking out for my brother and your crazy ex?"

"Maybe, maybe not. I'm conflicted."

"Where are they?"

Chicago

Klaus, Trinity, and Stefan get out of the car.

"Welcome back to Chicago, Stefan, Trinity." Klaus says.

Stefan looks around. "Welcome back to Chicago, Stefan."

"I know how much you loved it here. Bringing back memories of the good old ripper days?"

"Blacked out most of them. A lot of blood, a lot of partying. The details are all a blur." He says, throwing an arm around Trinity's shoulder.

"Well, that is a crying shame. The details are what makes it legend."

Flashback: Chicago, 1920's

"Word was the ripper of Monterrey got lonely, so he escaped to the city for comfort. It was prohibition. Everything was off limits then, which made everything so much fun."