Chapter Forty Nine: The Reckoning

Mystic Falls High School

The school is empty. Matt is training when he hears a noise. He gets up and walks through the school. He finally enters a classroom, it's dark inside, when he steps inside he sets off mouse traps that had been placed there. He turns on the light and sees Tyler, Caroline, Elena, and Bonnie.

"Ohh! Oh, come on! Seriously?!" Caroline groans. "Do you know how long it took for us to set all this up?!"

"Forgot about senior prank night, huh?" Tyler asks.

Matt looks at them. "Clearly."

"How could you forget?" Caroline asks. "We've only been waiting for this since like freshman year."

Elena nods. "Yeah, Matt. If I'm doing this, you're doing this."

"I'm kind of surprised any of you are doing this." He says.

"Caroline's making us." Bonnie tells him.

"We're about to be seniors. These are the memories that will stay with us forever, and if we don't..." Caroline trails off.

"And if we don't create these memories now, then what's the point of it all?" Elena finishes.

"Go ahead and make fun, I don't care."

"You're all lame. And I've got ten more classrooms to prank." Tyler grabs his bag and walks out of the room. Elena goes to leave too.

"Hey! Where are you going?" Bonnie asks.

"To superglue Alaric's desk shut. I'm making memories." She smiles.

"I love you!" Caroline smiles.

Elena walks out of the classroom and sees Tyler giving instructions to other students.

"Get the faculty toilet seats, and Dana needs bodies in the gym." He orders. "Let's go."

Elena laughs and opens the double doors only to see Klaus.

"There's my girl." He smirks.

"Klaus!" She tries to run but he grabs her.

"You are supposed to be dead. What are we going to do about that?"

Damon drives down a road with Katherine.

"Are you hungry?" She asks. "Let's stop for a bite. A truck stop. Or a trucker."

He rolls his eyes. "Oh, stop being cute."

"It's not possible."

"We've been driving around aimlessly for hours. Where are we going?"

"Far enough away so that you can't go running back."

"Not to worry. Mystic Falls and I are on a bit of a break."

"You and Mystic Falls, or you and Elena?"

"Let's just say Elena and I are having a bit of difference of opinion on how I should behave."

"Ooh. Let me guess...Elena wants you to be the hero, and you don't like playing pretend."

"Something like that."

"Her loss." She says, making Damon look at her.

"Don't think I haven't noticed your mood." He says. "What's the matter with you?"

"I got dumped. It sucks."

"Trinity?" He says. "Ooh. Let me guess...she hates you for backstabbing her and trying to get her friends killed; only she can't really hate you because she still loves you. Now she's stuck with some hybrid freak and her ripper best friend."