Chapter Forty Two: The Last Day

Trinity; now shifted into a wolf, looks at Jenna's sleeping form before walking to the door. She puts her ear close to it and closes her eyes, listening to the conversation downstairs.

Damon is in his bed and hears Elijah's conversation with Elena and Stefan. He gets up, goes downstairs and joins them.

"Tonight is the full moon. We should assume that Klaus is prepared to break the curse." Elijah says.

"Elena said that the Sun and the Moon curse is fake?" Stefan asks. "That it's actually just a curse placed on Klaus."

"Klaus is a vampire born of a werewolf bloodline. The curse has kept his werewolf aspect from manifesting. But if he breaks it...He'll be a true hybrid."

Damon walks in. "Then why are we letting him break the curse? We can kill him today. With Bonnie."

"Damon..." Stefan sighs.

Elena shakes her head. "No. Bonnie can't use that much power without dying."

He rolls his eyes. "I'll write her a great eulogy."

"It's not an option, Damon."

"All right, how do we break this curse?" Stefan asks.

"Well, the ritual itself is relatively straightforward. The ingredients, so to speak, you already know." Elijah tells him.

"The moonstone."

"A witch will channel the power of the full moon to release the spell that's bound within the stone. After that, Klaus, being both werewolf and vampire, will sacrifice one of each."

"And where do I fit into it?" Elena asks.

"The final part of the ritual." Elijah takes a wooden box from the shelf. "Klaus must drink the blood of the doppelgänger...to the point of your death." Damon looks at Elena. Stefan takes Elena's hand. She looks at him. He opens the box and takes a jar from it.

"And that's where you come in."

"This is an elixir that I acquired some 500 years ago for Katerina. It possesses mystical properties of resuscitation."

"So I'll be dead?"

"And then you won't."

Damon scoffs. "That's your plan? A magical witch potion with no expiration date?" He looks at Elena. "You want to come back to life, what about John's ring?"

"Those rings only work on humans. The doppelgänger's a supernatural occurrence. Odds are, the ring won't work." Elijah explains.

"I'll take those odds over your elixir. What if it doesn't work, Elena?"

"Then I guess I'll just be dead." She says. Damon looks at Stefan, who shrugs.

"Where's Trinity? She should be here backing me up. There's no way she'd agree with this."

"She's with Jenna." Elena says. "I guess that she's been helping her cope with finding out everything." Damon glares at Elijah before leaving. "Do we know if Klaus has everything he needs to do this? Does he have a werewolf?"

"Klaus has been waiting to break this curse for over a thousand years. If he doesn't already have a werewolf, my guess is by tonight, he will." Elijah tells her.

At the Lockwood mansion, Carol is on the stairs, leaving a voicemail for Tyler. "Tyler, honey. It's your mother. I don't know where you are, but I need you. I've had an accident and I'm in the hospital." She reaches the top of the stairs and sees Maddox. "Please, Tyler, come home." She hangs up. "Why did I say that?"