» 56 «

» The Wattys are about to close in just a few more days. I'm wishing luck to everyone who's entered so far. Please do your best to support this book also, if you think it deserves some sort of an award. You can support it by commenting, adding it to your public reading lists and sharing it around with your friends. It would mean the world to me «

••

She had never watched a game this intensely before.

Every time Gunner's team would score, she would find herself smiling and clapping occasionally, as the crowd cheered their team on. But when the opposite team scored, her forehead would crease and she'd grudgingly admit to herself that they deserved the score.

She did feel ashamed about being more focused on Gunner sometimes that she'd lose track of the game.

Gunner had managed to score twice by himself and the second time that he had, Lamees had cried out in excitement. She had blushed afterwards but was still proud of him.

As she watched him now, she noticed that he was covered in sweat and he pushed his hair back from his forehead. The determination that she had glimpsed in him before on the court was here too. His eyes followed the ball's every movement and when he saw his chance, he took off towards it, his sneakers squeaking loudly.

Her eyes followed him as he snatched the ball from someone and ran towards the hoop.

Lamees didn't remember standing up from her seat. She didn't remember herself yelling Gunner's name as she cheered him on. She wasn't aware of the goosebumps that had taken over her body.

She was only aware of one thing. Gunner was going to make that goal. She knew it before it happened.

When he leapt, she felt her feet leaving the ground. It was like she was watching him in slow motion. His outstretched arm, his teeth clenched and his eyes hard as his forehead gleamed with sweat. His hair swayed.

And as soon as the ball was in the hoop, the crowd roared and Lamees blinked, feeling like she'd been snapped back to reality.

Gunner had scored the winning goal.