» 66 «

» TGWTH MADE IT INTO THE WATTYS SHORTLIST, WHICH MEANS IT ACTUALLY HAS A CHANCE AT GETTING A WATTY AWARD «

••

The kiss was a brief one but it seemed to last several minutes.

When Gunner pulled away, he expected to see Lamees's horrified, red face but instead, he saw tears in her big eyes. He frowned, already hating himself for making her cry, even though he still wasn't sure why she was crying.

"Lamees? I-I'm... I'm sorry."

She looked away from him and covered her face with her hands, her shoulders shaking from silent sobs.

Gunner didn't know what to do. His hand wavered over her shoulder but he didn't touch her. "I'm so sorry," he apologized again. "I don't know what got into me... I just..."

She removed the hands from her face and shook her head, her eyes downcast as she sniffed. "It's not your fault," she choked out. "Its mine too. I let it happen..."

"Let what happen?"

"This." She paused for a few seconds before looking up at him with tear stained cheeks. "I'm sorry, Gunner, but this... whatever this is between us... It cannot go anywhere else."

He didn't understand. He didn't understand why it was wrong for two people to like each other.

"This," she spoke again, her voice gentle, "what we just did... is forbidden in my religion... we're not even allowed to touch anyone of the opposite gender. Do you understand what I'm saying, Gunner?"

He nodded and he did understand but at the same time, he didn't. It seemed a little extreme to him but he didn't say anything. He heard Lamees sigh as she leaned back in her seat. He was about to say something when his eyes fell on a movement behind Lamees.

A door opened. It was the house outside which they were parked and a man stepped out. Gunner could only make out his figure but when Lamees turned around to see what he was looking at, she gasped.

"Dad."