» 63 «

» I know that some of you think that the chapters are too short, but I feel like that is one of the unique features about the book. The fact that it's short and yet impactful - at least, I'm hoping that it is. So, I'm sorry if you dislike the short chapters but I feel more comfortable with this length «

••

An hour later, Gunner insisted on driving Lamees home and he wouldn't take no for an answer.

Lamees knew that he meant well but she couldn't exactly tell him what could happen if her parents were to know about the two of them. They technically hadn't done anything wrong, but her parents would become suspicious and would start checking up on her - she didn't want to deal with that.

So she ended up not saying anything and followed him out to his car. Her hand wavered above the passenger door's handle for a few seconds before Gunner leaned across his driver's seat and pushed open the door for her.

His wide smile made her stomach clench but she stepped into the car anyway before her thoughts made her second guess her actions. Once she was inside, she did her best to lean against the door and away from Gunner but he still seemed so close so she averted her eyes and stared out the window instead. She heard Gunner buckle up and her hands clenched.

She shouldn't be here.

"You okay?"

Lamees glanced towards him for a second and nodded. "Yeah."

She reached out for her own seatbelt, just to be able to do something with her hands and buckled up.

Gunner started the car and her heart picked up its pace, sent into a frantic at the feel of the rumbling engine beneath it. She breathed out slowly to calm herself.

Luckily, the person sitting beside her didn't notice as he pulled out of their parking spot. There was silence between them for a few minutes before Gunner asked her for her house's directions.

Both of them didn't make much eye contact but she saw the way his fingers clenched tightly onto the steering wheel. Too tight. He fidgeted once or twice too and the knowledge that Gunner also, was a bit nervous around her, made her blush.

She always thought that he was at ease around her and that it was only her that overthought about every situation. The fact that it was probably the same for him made her heart melt and go crazy at the same time.

She sneaked a glimpse at him and found his green eyes on the road. His mouth was set, as if he were concentrating or thinking about something really hard. A brown lock fell onto his forehead and she mentally traced it with her fingers.

She felt the car come to a stop.