Stargazing

Note: This takes place in the same place as in the Proposal imagine. Basically they've been going there every Saturday since they were 7 years old. More background info is in the Proposal chapter
__________________________

"Come on, baby. Are you ready?" Shawn called from downstairs.

"Yeah," I called back, glancing at myself in the mirror one last time. We were getting ready to go on our weekly trip to the cliff, but today, for some reason, Shawn insisted that we wait until it was dark out to go.

I had put on a simple black T shirt and blue jeans. I put my hair into a ponytail and slid on my black Converse before walking downstairs to meet Shawn.

He was dressed in his signature black jeans and grey shirt. He smiled at me when I came downstairs.

"You look beautiful," he commented.

"I didn't even dress up. I'm literally wearing jeans and a T-shirt," I said.

"I know. But you always look beautiful."

I ducked my head, blushing at the compliment.

He held his hand out for me, a smile still playing on his lips. I took it, and he walked us out to the car.

"So why exactly did we have to wait until dark to go to the cliff?" I asked once we were in the car.

"I can't tell you. It's a surprise." He glanced at me and smiled.

"But you know I hate surprises. I tell you this every time," I complained.

"I know. I just don't care. Besides, you always end up loving the surprise." He kept his eyes on the road, but he was still smiling, and he reached over to rest a hand on my knee, squeezing it gently.

"Yeah, but I'd rather know about it from the beginning. So then I can love it longer." I placed my hand over his.

"But that ruins the effect."

"So there's absolutely no chance of you even giving me a hint?" I asked, running a thumb over his knuckles.

"Nope, but we're here, so you'll know in a minute."

I looked up to see the familiar edge of the forest we had to walk through. Shawn parked and cut the engine. Then he leaned over so his face was inches from mine.

"Kiss?" he asked with pleading eyes.

"Of course," I mumbled, even though I was slightly irritated at him.

He closed the gap and gently brushed his mouth against mine. The kiss only lasted a few seconds, and Shawn was the one who pulled away. He briefly smiled at me before reaching into the backseat and grabbing the soft grey blanket he kept in the car, usually for me; I was the only one who ever used it.

We got out of the car, and Shawn took my hand as we made the short walk to the cliff.

"Can you tell me why we're here now?" I asked as we reached the clearing. Then I stopped and released Shawn's hand. He didn't need to answer. I could see why. The cliff had a clear view of the city, and while it was beautiful during the day, it was something else at night. All the buildings were lit up with an array of different colors. It was breathtaking.

"Pretty, isn't it?" Shawn commented.

"It's beautiful," I agreed.

"Not as beautiful as you," he countered.

I turned my head and smiled at him. "You're cheesy."

"Only for you," he grinned, leaning forward and pecking my nose.
"The city's not all I wanted you to see though."

I looked at him in confusion. He pointed up towards the sky.

"The sky is really clear tonight. You can see the stars really well."

I looked up and saw that he was right. The usual clouds that covered the stars were gone, leaving it completely clear. Shawn spread the blanket on the ground and sat down on it. He reached for my hand and pulled me down into his lap. His arms snaked around my waist, holding me against him, and his chin rested on my shoulder.

"Why have we never come out here at night?" I asked, breaking the silence we had lapsed into. "We've been coming here for years, but never at night. What made you decide to do it today?"

"Mostly just because the forecast said the sky would be clear, so we would be able to see the stars. I wasn't really sure how the city looked. I just assumed it would be lit up, and it's a lot prettier than I expected. I'm glad we came out here though. We needed to see this at least once."

I nodded. "I think we should come back again someday and look at this. It's prettier at night. And it's a lot more romantic at night," I added, turning my head to look at him. He smiled and kissed my cheek.

I shifted around in his lap so I could kiss him properly. I framed his face with my hands and pressed my lips against his. Without breaking the kiss, he slowly leaned back until he was lying down, taking me with him. I broke away after a moment and sat up, smoothing my hands over his abdomen.

I looked up at his face to find him watching me intently. The trees cast shadows on his face, and his eyes reflected the moonlight, making him seem even more unreal than I already thought he was. The intensity of his gaze made me blush and look away. I looked down and my fingers which were absentmindedly tracing the planes of his stomach through his shirt. His hand caught mine and held it in place. I looked up again to see his gaze transfixed on our hands.

"I love you," he mumbled, his eyes flickering up to my face.

"I love you, too." I leaned down to kiss him again.

When we broke apart I got off of him to lay at his side. My head rested on his shoulder, and I wrapped my arm around his torso. It was getting kind of chilly out, but the body heat radiating off him was enough to keep me warm.

I looked up at the starry sky. I didn't really know a lot about astrology or constellations, but I did recognize the Little Dipper... or maybe it was the Big Dipper.

"Can you see Orion?" Shawn asked.

"No. I'm not even sure what that looks like," I responded.

"Do you see the three stars in a row? The one in the middle is brighter. That's his belt. His actual body is a little harder to see." He pointed towards the sky. I followed his finger, and I did see the three stars.

"Oh. I see it!" I exclaimed.

I continued watching the sky when I suddenly saw something bright flash by. "It's a shooting star," I said excitedly. "Make a wish."

"I don't think I need to. Everything I want is right here." His arm tightened around me, and he kissed my forehead.

I realized he was right. Right now, all I wanted was to be with him. "Me too," I said with a smile, and I tilted my head up to capture his lips again.

__________________________
-unedited-
That was a lot cuter and less cheesy in my head. Ok bye
July 16, 2017
-💜