6. The Sharks Will Eat You

"I like the fact that you live near the forest." I say to Jacob as we walk to his house.

"Yeah, it's pretty cool." He shrugs and opens the front door. I just pass the doorstep and William immediately runs in my arms and hugs me.

I play with his curly hair and smile down at him. I missed him. "Hey there little bud. How was school ?" I ask him, kneeling so that I'm his height.

"It was okay ! I have two new friends." he tells me, showing me two fingers " I really like Matthew and Kayla. They'e nice with me." 

"That's awesome !" I clap my hands, relieved that he is adapting quickly. "And the teacher ?" 

"Mrs. Frey made us do maths. I hated it." he says with a disgusted look on his face : his nose is scrunched up and his eyes are closed.

"I can imagine that." I chuckle. He always hated counting when he was little. He would rather rush through things and not bother paying attention to how many candies he was eating.

I'm about to ask about the school when someone interrupts me. "Where are you William ?" asks a female voice. I raise my head and see a woman in her forties entering the room. She smiles as she notices my brother and I. I stare at her long straight black hair, her dark eyes circled with soft wrinkles and her genuine smile. 

She approaches us and takes out her hands, I shake it. "You must be Alexandra." she says nicely. "Billy told me." she admits.

"And you are...?" I don't want to seem rude, but I don't know who the heck she is.

"Oh, excuse me." Her laughs is crystalline and almost quiet. "Sorry. Sue Clearwater. I'm so happy you're both here. Billy couldn't stop talking about you." She takes me in her arms and hugs me, caughting me off guard. I don't know how to react, so I hug her back awkwardly a few seconds after.

"William, why don't we go play in the woods ?" I say, making Will run away to get his toys. Sue looks at me knowingly : she has noticed how close and protective I am of my brother. William comes back when he has his toys and he kisses Sue's cheek.

"Thank you for bringing me back Sue." William says before taking my hand and leading me away.

"No worries sweety." she tells him. She turns to face me and suddenly has a very serious expression.  "You can call me if you need anything. Just ask Billy for my number, okay ?" 

"Sure. Thank you." I greet her goodbye and walk away with William.

I want to spend some quality time with William. We need time together, especially after what happened. Nothing will ever be the same as it was in New York. Ever.

*****

"Come on Will ! Put on your pajamas !" I say, chasing him around his room. 

"Nope !" he laughs while escaping every time I come near to catching him. I finally take a hold of his arm and throw him on his bed.

"Dress up or the sharks on your covers will come alive and eat you during the night." I tell him. He immediately listens to me and do as I said. I sigh and leave him to change.

I go to sit next to Billy on the couch. He's watching a football match and seems pretty concentrated. 

"Did you tell anyone about what happened ?" I ask him out of the blue. His head tilts to the right to look at me.

"No, I didn't. I believe it is your choice if you want anyone to know. I won't say anything without your permission." he explains, making me nod.

"Thanks." 

What do you think happened to Alex and her brother ? 

What do you do after school ?

Vote/Comment/Follow ! :)