18. Going Back To School

A week after Billy's good news, it's finally time for me to go back to school. I'm so excited, I haven't gotten a minute of sleep last night. After waiting for 7:30AM, I get up and walk to my drawers, getting my clothes for the day. I pick my new black jean and a long-sleeved blue T-shirt. I choose a grey sweater and hop to the bathroom. Humming a melody, I quickly wash myself. I put on the clothes, brush my teeth and go get my backpack. I choose to cover the bags under my eyes with a bit of makeup, but that's it. Unlike Kate, I don't like putting it : it's just a mask and I don't want to impress anyone. I look at my short hair and sigh, choosing to put on the wig for today.

I run downstairs, noticing Jake is already ready. I take an apple, some bread and go outside to wait for him in the truck. My school starts earlier than his, and finishes later. He is officially my chauffeur. Jacob eventually starts the truck and we are off to Forks. I nervously bight my nails, an old habit. I stop and start biting my lower lip, another old habit.

"Calm down Alex." Jake tells me, looking relaxed as he drives.

"Yeah, right." I scoff. "Calm down Alexandra, it's not as if you're the new girl in school and a girl with cancer." I mock him. It's not his fault, I'm always nervous when it comes to making a new appearance.

"Just saying, if you continue like this, you won't have any nails left."

"Shut up." I say playfully. We listen to old rock music and stay silent for the rest of the trip. We are here early, so I have enough time to go to the office. I say bye to Jake and make my way towards the reception.

"Hello. Excuse me, but I'm here to get my schedule. My name's Alexandra Cooper." I say to the old lady in the office.

She looks at me, seeming bored and sighs. The lady taps on her computer before printing my schedule. "Good luck, dear. You'll need it." she tells me.

"Thank you." I mumble, checking where I have my first lesson.

Block B. Where the hell is that ? I follow a few students everywhere, until I see a big sign with a letter B written on it. Entering it, I search for my classroom and take a seat.

*****

I never thought I'd be bored on the first day of school, but as Dad said, there's a beginning to everything. It's finally lunch and I go to my locker to take my pills. I have to take a few pills every day for each meal to prevent the growth of the tumor. I was about to close my locker, when I'm brutally pushed. I curse, looking at my hand. I really hope there won't be a bruise. Raising my head, I hear two voices speak.

"Is it the new girl Jessica ?" a boyish voice says.

"I think so Devon. What a loser !" a girl responds. Just by hearing their voices and choice of words, I already know they are the school's whore and player. And they don't seem to like me. I sigh and walk away, keeping my eyes on the ground.

"Don't you dare turn your back at us." Jessica yells at me. Everyone in the corridor shut up to listen to our conversation. I blush madly : I never liked being the centre of attention. Facing Jessica, I see I was right before. Tiny skirt that could be thought of as a belt, shirt that shows too much skin, muddy eyes, fake blond hair and most importantly, tanned skin. I mean, who could have tanned skin in Forks ? We are living in the only place where it's raining and cold almost everyday.

I stare past her to look at Devon. Sure, he is handsome : large torso, brown hair and green eyes. But he has something in his stare which doesn't make him trustful.

"Did you hear me newbie ?" she shrieks. I nod and walk over to her.

"You must be Jessica. Right ?" I ask. She nods, visibly afraid I know her name. I suppress a laughter. She really is dumb : she doesn't even get that I heard them talk and say their names literally thirty seconds ago.