11. Want To Make A Bet?

"Come on guys, hop in the car !" Mom yells at us while putting the bag at the back of the car.

I look at Cory, see him looking back and run to see who will win the race. Cory is taller and has longer legs than I, so he wins, as always. He does his little victory dance and goes to the best seat of all, the one behind the driver. I grunt and follow him to go in the middle one. William is too young, so he has a reserved seat with a lot of space. Our little brother grins at us innocently.

Dad gets in the driver's place and the car roars to life. Since it's a sunny day and a weekend, our parents decided to take us out for a beach trip. My older brother is chatting with Dad concerning possible colleges he could attend to next year, while I talk with Mom.

"I tell you Mom, there are no boys right now !" I tell her, blushing madly. In fact, I do have a crush on Tommy Carson, but there's no way I'm telling her that.

"A beautiful sixteen years old girl with no admirers ? I don't believe it." she smiles sweetly and continues torturing me into telling her the truth.

I snort and lean back in my seat. Our windows are open and the soft wind makes my dark hair float a bit. My eyes look towards my left : Cory is eighteen, very tall, with sparkly brown eyes, curly brown hair, a large mouse and nose. All of my friends say he's attractive. Right. Let them live with him for a day and they will beg me to take him back. But I do agree with them on one thing : he's a great singer. Cory's dream is to produce a disk with his own original songs he has written. I've heard most of them and let me tell you, they are awesome.

As I look the other way, I laugh at William : he isn't holding his book the right way. I decide to be nice and help him. He is an absolute cutie at eight years old. He is the exact replica of Mom and Cory, just younger.

And I, Alexandra, am completely different from my brothers. I have shoulder-length black hair, freckles on my nose and blue eyes that tend to become grey whenever I get angry or sad. I took all my looks from Dad, even though some people tell me the contrary.

I'm still in my thoughts when Corry talks to me. "Want to go see Uncle Billy this summer ?" Well, for a surprise, it is one. We've never met our uncle, Mom's brother. Sure, we did meet him when I was five years old, but I don't even remember a thing, so...

"It would be great to finally meet him in person. And remember it." I joke about it, but I still notice Mom's head falling down and how ashamed she looks.