26. Lot Of Explanations To Do

I stay put on my chair and do not dare lifting my gaze from the wooden table. They all come barging in at once, talking rather playfully. I see the plate of muffin disappearing from the table and look up to see who took it so that I can beat the crap out of them. I meet Paul's gaze and look anywhere else. I huff at his manners.

Jacob takes one, eats it rapidly. "They're so good Em, thanks !" says Jacob.

At least I have a cousin with good manners. No head, no brain, but manners. I think of what Jared said about werewolves. Mind-links ? What if they knew about my... condition ? What if Embry and Jacob had already told the rest of the shape-shifter I have cancer ?

"Alexandra ? Are you alright ?"

I snap back into reality and sigh, annoyed at his question. "What do you think, Jacob ? Am I alright ?" I ask him sarcastically.

He backs away, his hands held in front of him as if to protect himself. "Okay, okay ! Sorry for not telling you I was a werewolf and all !"

I shake my head. "It's not only that, Jake. But I'll tell you at home, I guess you don't really want to be embarrassed in front of everyone." I say with a short smile. Let him think whatever he wants.

He mutters something and goes next to Bella. He's so in love with her, while she's still chasing a guy who left her all alone. Geez, she really does have a problem.

I notice Paul still has the plate of muffin in his hands and is standing away from everyone. He obviously seems mad about something. He has a dark look, he clenches his fists so hard his knuckles are visible. All the guys avoid him : they know what's going on, that's for sure.

A tall man enters and every head turn to look at him. All the boys bow their head before going back to their conversation. It must be the leader : Sam Uley. He goes to stand next to Emily and kisses each of her three scars before kissing her on her lips. I feel embarrassed, so I look the other way. I'm not embarrassed of their love, but it's just... they act like my parents did. Not with the whole scar-kissing thing, but they are so in love. Like them.

He glances at me and smiles tentatively. "Alexandra ? How are you ?" Sam asks.

"Fine, just discovered werewolves and vampires exist. Couldn't be better." I tell him, ironically. I'm using irony and sarcasm like a second language. What's it with everyone asking me how I feel ? Do they expect me to tell them I knew from the start or that I'm thrilled to know werewolves and vampires exist ?

Hearing someone chuckle behind me, I turn my face to see Paul who is standing at the opposite of I. He looks at me with those dark chocolate eyes and I feel something weird in my stomach.

"What ?!" I ask, starring directly at him.

He crosses his arms. "Nothing, just you." he answers vaguely and I want to kill him so badly.

I stand up. "Oh, really ? So I must be funny ?" I say as I walk towards him.

"Pretty much, yeah." he says, not scared one bit. Oh, he will be pretty soon. He doesn't know me enough, but ask Jake and Embry : I can be scary.

Sam sighs. "Paul, Alexandra, calm down." he says, power filling his words. Paul immediately shuts his mouth, but I'm not controlled by Sam.

"No." When I say that, everyone stops talking and looks at us. "If he finds something funny, let him say why. I'm pretty curious."

Paul's face is getting tomato red. "Oh, shut up. You were always like this. When we fought at school, you always tried to put some jokes and sarcastic comments. Not even worth it." Paul states with a mean look directed to me.

"What's your problem, dude ?" I ask, standing in front of him. He's much taller than me. I'm 5,4 feet tall, he must at least be 5,9 feet tall : big difference. It makes me feel so small, but I'm pissed enough to not back down.

He bends down and I have to back my face away from his a little. "My problem is that you're a waste of space and time." he tells me.

"Ouch, that hurt. A mean comment from the bully and man-whore of the town. I think I'm going to cry." I say, faking my sad voice.

He looks pained for a moment, before going back to his usual face, a stern one.

I won the battle. I turn away from him and face Emily. "Thank you for your hospitality, but I better get going. Jacob, could you bring me back ?"

"I have to talk to Bella. Get someone else to be your chauffeur." he says as he takes Bella out of the house.

I grimace. "Embry ?" He owes me, so he better say yes.

"Sure. Come on." he says, taking his keys out of his pocket.

Out of nowhere, and I don't know why, Paul growls. He begins shaking violently and I remember what he did after transforming, so I back away, hiding behind Embry. Paul stops suddenly shaking and he stares at me. I don't know what's going on in his head, but something is bothering him and it's related to me.

*****

We silently get in Embry's car and he starts driving.

A few seconds after being on the road, Embry opens his mouth. "Listen, Alex, I'm so sorry and..."

"I forgive you." I cut him off. "I saw how Paul was forced to shut up after Sam told him to. You didn't have a choice, I get it." I mumble.

"Thanks." he smiles, relieved. "Didn't feel like losing my best friend."

I frown. "That's the problem : what am I going to tell Quil and Katherine ?"

"Don't tell them anything, please. Sam will kill us. Quil will know pretty soon because he's going to transform too, but Katherine..." His tone softens relatively when he says her name.

"You still love her." I tell him.

He nods. "It kills me. Not being able to go to her and tell her everything... Seeing her hate me is the worst." he says, pained.

We stay silent for a minute. "I have a question. Did Jake or you, with the mind-link thingy, tell anyone about the cancer ?" I can't help but ask.

"Nope. We thought about it with Billy and he told us not to. Though it was kinda hard after seeing you faint on the beach."

"Uncle Billy ? He knows ?" I demand, beliwered.

"He's one of our chiefs, of course he knows."

Uncle Billy is going to have a lot of explaining to do.

Hi ! :) Thank you for reading the story ! Next chapter, a lot of revelations ....