50. Bad Choice

Embry catches William with his other hands, running away from the fight scene.

"Embry ! If you don't let me go at this instant, I swear to God, I will tell Kate all of your deepest secrets, I'll tell your mother how you once peed in your pants, I'll tell Jacob that you're the one who stole his band's CD and not Quil, I'll..." I threaten him, but not once does he react, nor does he stop.

I continue fighting his hold, but his shapeshifter's strength unables me to free myself. 

William has started crying and I clasps my ears to block his desperate cries. I can't help him, no one can help me and I can't help Paul and my stupid brother is with the one who broke all of us...

My palms start heating up and my eyes widen in excitement : maybe that'll persuade Embry...

I smile wickedly and put both hands on his arm. He yelps, letting me go and making me fall on the ground.

Considering the fact that he was running full speed, I get a lot of dirt on my face. I spit it out of my mouth and raise my hands in defense.

"Alex, what the f - what are you doing ?" Embry corrects his words, glancing quickly at William, who is now sucking on his thumb.

"Don't come nearer, Embry." I warn him, retreating. "I'm going to go help the pack and Paul. If you try catching me, you'll have a third-degree burn. Let me tell you that Kate fainted when she saw my scars, so if you get some, no more smoochies-smoochies for at least a thousand of years !"

He has such a betrayed face that I bite back my laughter. He bends his head.

"Okay, you win. My death will be on you : Paul will surely kill me." he tells me before taking William somewhere safe, probably to Emily's house.

I run back and as my breath becomes heavier, I pray.

I pray that Paul and Cory haven't killed themselves.

I pray that Gillian isn't dead yet, so that I can do the dirty job myself.

*****

I arrive at the clearing and rest against a tree, coughing. Gosh, I really need to get back in shape ! Or maybe I need to find a way not to get kidnapped and tortured... I wipe out the sweat that is on my forehead, checking the battle's state.

The pack is being lead by Paul, though Sam is still the one directing orders.

Gillian is fighting three wolves at the time, Lilith is battling with Paul and Kuly is being be-headed by Jacob.

I wince when I see his head rolling a few meters, stopping and staring at me with his dead eyes.

I hear a growl and immediately know Paul has recognized my scent. I ignore the howls, walking towards Jacob.

"Do you need some fire ?" I ask him, lighting my hand on fire while he stares at it.

It has become kind of instinct, though I still don't know how.

"You - you know how to produce fire ?" he says as if it was impossible.

Well, it kind of is.

"Long story. Do you need some ?"

He nods and I 'throw' the fireball at Kuly's body. It lights up very quickly and I watch the improvised campfire. Kuly's body loses the hard skin which composed his vampire body, along with all the stupid sparkly stuff that looks like a hundred carat diamond. Jacob puts the head and I am disgusted by how fast it turns into dust, flying away.

"Ugh. A vampire is disgusting." I mutter.

"Even me ?" Cory asks from behind.

Jacob braces himself, I simply sigh. I turn around and face him.