S1E04: Part 1

Pennsylvania, Amish Country

10K POV

They didn't stop driving until they were miles from Philadelphia and pulled over for a bathroom break. Addy was passing out squares of toilet paper as everyone took their turn. Only once did they have to stop because of the Z's. Two of them stumbled toward the truck, dressed in old black and white clothing.

"Amish zombies." Addy said, "Really? Really?"

10K took aim from the bed of the truck with his slingshot and gave the two men mercy without any problems. Everyone else went back to what they were doing, going to the bathroom, stretching their legs, or checking supplies. Bailey however sat on the tailgate of the truck and pulled 10K over to her by the collar of his camo shirt making his eyes widen in shock and surprise at the sudden harsh move.

"You can't tell anyone what you saw in Philly." She said in an urgent whisper. 10K hesitated, especially since this was the first time Bailey had ever really said more than a couple words to him.

"You mean with you and that guy –"

"I had it handled." She snapped cutting him off and letting go of his shirt. 10K paused again before responding this time the harshness in his tone matching hers.

"It didn't look like you had it handled from where I stood." He said coldly making Bailey hesitate and look down at the ground before looking back up at him.

"Just please don't tell anyone." She said less sternly, it was almost like she was now begging him not to. 10K saw something flash in her eyes and his own defensive mood vanished, she didn't want to look weak, he realized. She wanted the others to believe that she could handle herself and if he said anything they might start babysitting her until her leg healed, maybe even after. He stared at Bailey for a long moment while she nervously tugged on the end of her hair waiting for him to respond, the girl was a survivor but she was young – a lot like him in fact. She probably had worked hard to prove herself and now that reputation she'd struggled to build was riding on his shoulders, whether it remained intact or came crumbling down was all on him.

"I won't tell anyone." He said and he saw the look in her eyes soften in gratitude. "I promise."

"Thank you." She said and it sounded like she really meant it to her core. She hopped off the truck and turned to him before joining Addy, "And thanks for the help back there."As she walked away 10K couldn't help but get a sour taste in his mouth, his promise to Bailey reminding him of the last promise he'd made.

Bailey POV

When they'd all finished their pit stop and had packed up again Doc and Cassandra had started a conversation about how alive the living dead really were. Bailey didn't care for it so she pulled out her notebook again and started writing.