S2E03

10K POV

10K POV

They'd been hiking through Wyoming heading east when Warren finally called for a break. They'd all been keeping an eye on Addy knowing that losing Mack would be hardest for her and didn't want to add exhaustion to her stress. 10K noticed that Bailey had wandered off and was sitting a good hundred yards away from the group. It was so wide open that she'd be able to see a zombie coming for miles but he still made his way over to her just to make sure she was alright.  

Bailey POV

She fell to the ground on one knee, then both as she sat in the dirt.  She rested the handle of her hatchet on the grass and rested her head on the blunt end of the metal. She jumped a little when she felt a hand on her shoulder and turned to see 10K crouching down beside her.

"Oh," she breathed in relief, "I thought you were Addy."

"Addy's not allowed to see you cry?" he asked eyeing the tear trails that had streaked down her face as he rested his elbows on his knees, his rifle slung across his back.

"Not now." She said with a sniffle trying to keep herself together, "Not when she's in more pain than I am." She said not looking at 10K but instead turning her gaze to the grass at her feet as she started pulling it out of the ground. "I have to be strong for her."

There was a long pause before 10K licked his lip and moved his hand to her back, "Who's going to be strong for you?" he asked softly not taking his eyes off her. She didn't answer his question as she felt the wall she'd put up start to break. Tears stung her eyes and her breathing started to become irregular. When the first sob escaped her lips 10K's arms were instantly around her pulling her into a hug as she buried her face in his shoulder. He dropped onto one knee to pull her closer as he began to rub up and down her back comfortingly as she cried and mourned Mack.