S2E01: Part 1

S2E01: Part 1

As they drove down the road Warren's eyes kept flashing to the rearview mirror watching for the blast that was sure to come. Bailey turned to look out the back window when she saw the world light up like someone just turned on a spotlight. 10K turned from his place in the passenger seat and even Doc –though wounded – did his best to sit up and watch too. When the light dimmed they saw a huge mushroom cloud where the lab was. It was a fair distance off but they all knew the blast would catch up to them soon. Warren hit the gas harder and Bailey saw a dust cloud kick up behind them and it was catching up fast. Then 10K pointed out a tunnel off the side of the road to their right, Warren hit the brakes and turned the wheel heading for their only refuge.

The force of the nuclear blast caught up with them just as their SUV made it into the tunnel, the high powered wind knocking the back end of the vehicle and making the car roll. It spun in the air, then along the pavement until it hit two abandoned cars at the other end. As it rolled the two doors on the passenger side were torn off and Bailey and 10K fell from the car rolling along the pavement themselves and getting a little cut up from the debris that came flying in and littered the ground. She'd never been so disoriented as she sat up lying on her stomach but using her forearms and elbows to prop her head up. Her braid had now completely fallen out leaving her hair a loose mess as a good portion of it covered her face and moved with each breath she took. 10K was on his back maybe a foot or two from her and she could see him cough and squirm a bit in pain. Her ears were ringing a little and she could feel the adrenaline rushing through her veins making her shake slightly as she took deep breaths trying to calm herself enough to function again. 10K sat up on his elbows and turned to her.

"Bailey, you okay?" he asked but she only continued to focus on her breathing. "Bailey." He said sharper and leaning toward her. She looked up at him as her head swam taking in the concern on his face, the longer she stayed silent the more his worry seemed to grow. He shuffled a little closer and asked if she was okay again. She suddenly had a flash of everything that had almost killed them since leaving New York, the cannibals, the tornado, the cult, the Zunami, the radioactive Z's, the group that had kidnapped her and tried to rob Mesa Pharmaceuticals and now a fracking nuke.

"Bailey!" 10K called for her again as she came back to the current near death experience. "Bai-"

But his sentence was cut off when she lunged and crossed the foot of space between them and tackled him to the ground with her lips smashing against his. He fell to the ground lying on his back again, his hands hesitantly moving to her back in shock. She pulled away and flushed bright red not sure what had possessed her to act so brazenly, she opened her mouth to apologize and try to explain herself but no sound came out, instead a moment passed where they stared at each other before 10K leaned forward and brought his lips to hers. He relaxed his head leaning back against the ground and hers followed continuing their kiss as her fingers fisted the front of his camo shirt and their mouths moved together though very sloppy and inexperienced. They pulled back and stared at each other again before they heard a cough and looked over to see Warren helping Doc out of the upside down SUV. They both went over and helped also pulling what little supplies they'd had with them, like Doc's medical bag, a black backpack, 10K's rifle and Bailey's messenger bag.