S2E15: Part 1

S2E15: Part 1

Citizen Z POV

"Delta X-ray Delta, Addy, do you copy?" he said feeding papers into a fire he'd started in a metal barrel, "Bailey do you copy? Anybody copy? Citizen Z down to my last battery. If you can hear this broadcast, tell the package to abort mission. Repeat. Abort mission. Location compromised. I –" then the static from his pack went off and he sighed in defeat. He dropped the files he was holding and stared into the flames.

"All good things must come to an end." He said before taking the radio and tossing it into the pit of fire.

Bailey POV

"What is taking so long?" Murphy grumbled now in a dress and cardigan.

"I hope it's not another top secret underground lab." Doc said, "That last elevator made me nauseous for a week."

"Whatever it is I just want to get it over with." Murphy said throwing on a hat.

"Got that right." 10K agreed looking to Bailey, both thinking about the north and everything they'd talked about, the sooner they could drop Murphy off to whoever was left the sooner they could get on with their lives. She blushed thinking about the family he'd talked about having someday.

"Here she comes." 10K said as he turned and spotted Warren who walked out the front door and waved them over.

"Here we go." Addy said turning to Murphy, "I gotta say, I kinda like the new you."

"You don't want to meet the new me." He said taking out a fan and flicked it open with his wrist.

When they got closer they heard retro-pop music playing inside. When they stepped through the front door after Warren Bailey saw the windows were haphazardly boarded up letting in light through the spaces. There was one wall covered in records and a floor scattered with tables and chairs before a small fight of steps led to a second floor with a long table and barstools. A second bar ran perpendicular to it were an older woman with grey hair, a yellow apron and a warm smile stood making tea.

"So is this a real restaurant?" Doc asked looking around making his way up the small flight of stairs.

"Well except for Black Summer, we've been in continuous operation since 1967." The woman replied cheerfully, "We've had a limited menu at times but, eh. Where you folks from?" she asked moving out from behind the bar to pass out tea, Bailey noticed the woman was a bit on the heavier side, odd given that in the apocalypse food had become scarce, she must have one hell of a food supply, especially if she was still serving customers.

"New York." Warren replied taking a sip from her glass.

"New York." The woman repeated impressed, "I didn't know anybody could still be from New York." Bailey noticed Murphy had strayed away from the group, not standing around the high table with them but instead sat at a table for two a bit off in the corner.

"Upstate. The city's gone one hundred percent Z." Warren said.

"Oh long drive." The woman said brushing her hands on her apron. "What was it like out there?"

"Well nothing but Z's and those soon to become Z's." Doc said turning on a lantern at the table illuminating their faces.

"Wasn't there anybody safe? Anywhere?"

"There are." Warren said, "Few and far between."

Then the woman smiled brightly again, "So what does bring you to California?"

Warren opened her mouth to respond but stopped when they heard a vehicle pull up outside.

"Bounty hunters." Vasquez said and Murphy pulled his scarf up over the bottom half of his face, a pair of big round sunglasses covering his eyes.