S4E01 & S4E02

S4E01 & S4E02

Third Person POV

TWO YEARS LATER

"Now is the time for all good men to kill some puppies and kittens." Doc said as he swung his hammers as the pack of Z's charged at him. He hit one after another until he swung so hard one Z's eyeballs popped out before he grabbed his bag and head off into thicker woods trying to lose the rest of them. He didn't get far before he was hit in the side of the head by something hard and fell over. He felt someone grab him and he turned and pushed them over onto their back while he pinned them. Only then did he notice how familiar they looked.

"10K? It's Doc!"

"Doc? What the hell, I could have killed you." He said sounding a bit disoriented from the hard shove but before they could have a real swell reunion they turned at the sound of more snarling. Doc grabbed 10K by his shirt and hauled him to his feet.

"This way." He said leading him away from the Z's.

"We've got to circle back." 10K said holding his rifle as they ran, "I've got a shelter, come on."

His shelter turned out to be a tent he'd secured up in a tree, it had a hard floor that rested right where the thick branches all spread out and each corner of the tent was tied to a branch. Turns out 10K wasn't the only one living there, when they climbed the tree he saw Red inside the small tent and she smiled at him. Her hair was no longer in its side braid twisted with red ribbon but instead hung loose around her face and ended far down her back. 10K quickly explained what happened and Red got to work helping the cut Doc now had on his head.

"Sorry about that Doc." 10K apologized as they sat down.

"Aw, that's okay Kid, it's gonna take more than a head-but to bring this old billy goat down." He said gesturing to his long overgrown beard that ended at his knees. "Ya know I've never been tree camping. Pretty nice little set up ya got here." he said looking around.

"Thanks. We call it home." 10K said smiling at Red who picked up an eye dropper of distilled Z-weed sap.

"Hold still. I don't want to get it in your eye." She said as she tended to him.

"Hey can I get a little bit of that, just a squeeze?" he asked and he opened his mouth as she shot some sap in, "Just one more?" she chuckled at his request and gave him another few drops. "Thank you darling. It sure is good to see you both. How long's it been? About a year?"

"Um, almost two?" Red said doing the math quickly in her head.

"Time flies while you're killin Z's."

"So what brings you out here?" 10K asked.

"Well, actually I've been looking for you two."

"If this is about some mission to find Murphy. . . " 10K trailed off shaking his head already refusing if it was.

"Oh no, no. Hell no." Doc said shaking his head.

"That bite still hurts." 10K said, his tone harsh from the memory alone.

"Mmm." Doc nodded understanding 10K's anger.

"Let him finish." Red said softly, putting a comforting hand on 10K's knee.

"I'm here to talk to you about Newmerica." Doc said.

"You selling something?" 10K asked.

"What? No."

"Some kind of religion thing?" Red questioned.

"Have we just met? No. I'm not selling insurance and I'm not thumping the good book. Newmerica is a place, it's a safe zone in northern Canada. Where it's too cold for the Z's."