S1E05: Part 1

                    Southern Illinois

Bailey was looking out the window of the house they'd been bunking in, Addy and Mack were in the front yard finishing up their watch shift. Mack had picked up Addy and was spinning her around as she laughed. For a moment it felt like they could stay here forever, the house was well protected thanks to an electrical fence that ran along the perimeter of the property, there was enough space for all of them and the house held a certain homely charm Bailey thought she'd never feel again. She gave a sigh as she turned away from the window thinking about other feelings that had come to the surface of her thoughts lately. She walked through the kitchen where Garnett and Warren were making coffee, Warren playfully called Garnett honey as they laughed and Bailey couldn't help but feel a strong desire to have that kind of happiness. She tried not to think about it too often but she wanted what Addy and Mack had, she wanted someone to cuddle with at night, she wanted someone to hold hands with when the truck ran out of gas and they had to walk for miles, she wanted someone who could smile at her and brighten her day no matter how many zombies they'd run into. But just like every other time she started feeling this way she shook her head and repeated her own self-given advice, Remember Bailey, the more people you love, the more you let in, the more you have to loose.

She walked into the living room where Doc and Murphy were playing cards and sat down at the table with them opening her notebook and clicking her mechanical pencil and kept writing. She looked over Doc's shoulder to where Cassandra was napping on the couch in the other room and 10K who was sitting in a chair reading Metropolitan magazine. Poor guy, she thought looking back down at her notebook, anyone of the stories she'd written was probably much better than what he was reading in that magazine especially given that the article titles on the cover were 5000 sex tips and How To Tell When He's Lying. Not that she'd ever let him read her notebook, her stories were very personal to her, they were from the deepest part of her imagination and she never shared them with anyone, not even Addy. The only reason she wrote them down at all was because she found it calming, it helped her keep her sanity in a world that had crumpled and fallen to the insane. She looked back over at 10K one more time taking in his features, they'd all had a chance to wash up since they'd found this place and she was surprised at how different 10K looked without the dirt on his face, he seemed younger, more innocent somehow. She shook her head and returned to her writing.

"Friends, I'm talking about mean weather coming in fast." Citizen Z's voice came on cutting off the music that had been playing on the radio. "Some reports of tornados, find shelter and take cover. It's dangerous out there, more so than usual. Now back to the soothing sounds of the apocalypse." He said wrapping up and turning the rock music back on.

"You know after he was so wrong about that chopper, weather man's a pretty good job for that geek." Murphy said as he shuffled the cards making Doc chuckle. Then Addy and Mack came in from their shift ready to switch off after the long night.