S1E08

S1E08:

Somewhere in Nebraska

They had run out of water three days ago and finally couldn't take it anymore. Warren was resting against the bumper of a broken down car trying to see if its radiator had any water left in it. Cassandra was lying in the street with 10K and Bailey and the darker haired girl crawled over to the curb where there was a tin can. She reached out weakly for it and brought it to her mouth probably hallucinating from the dehydration. Bailey had her head resting near a manhole cover hoping that she'd hear flowing water in the sewage system below them. But she didn't hear a thing, not even rats, which was a bad sign.

"Even the sewers are dried up." She muttered against the fabric of her yellow jacket which she'd taken off once the sun rose revealing her grey tee shirt. She'd also taken her knife and cut her black skinny jeans at the knee to try and cool off. She looked over at 10K who had taken off the long sleeved grey shirt that he wore under his camo tee and he'd also removed his brown scarf and was twisting it above his head until drops of water came out and fell into his open mouth which his tongue was sticking out of reaching up like he was hoping for more water.

"Is that your sweat?" Bailey asked and he nodded, "Well, don't hog it all!" Bailey said desperately, pushing herself up with one elbow and reaching out for the scarf with her left hand. 10K only shuffled away half an inch as he got the last of the drops of water.

"Oh, come on, Ten!" Bailey whined when it was gone moving over to plop her head on his stomach as he dropped his arms.

"I read once that you could drink your own urine." She heard Doc say, "But all I'm pissin is dust." he said in defeat as he threw aside an empty two liter soda bottle. Then Murphy walked over to them, he was the only one who didn't seem to be suffering.

"Water isn't gonna find you just sitting there." He told them and Warren dropped the plastic jug she'd pulled from the car radiator.

"Why are you so freakin' chipper?" she asked.

"I've been wondering that myself. Maybe it's cause I conserve my precious bodily fluids." He replied just as a rumbling started.

"What is that?" 10K asked turning his head to the road they'd taken into town. "Is it an earthquake?" he asked weakly, squinting and propping himself up on his elbows making Bailey sit up too resting on her forearms.

"More like a zombie quake." Doc said as he helped Cassandra up from the curb. There must have been hundreds of them at least, and that was just what they could see, there was no telling how many were in the dust cloud they'd formed and they got closer quickly. The snarling and growling grew with the rumbling as they ran forward smelling fresh meat.

"Damn guys just won't quit." Warren said in a weak voice.

"I suggest we run for it." Murphy said before jogging down the road. He didn't get far when he noticed no one was following, in fact, no one had even moved an inch. "Come on people, pick it up!" he said moving back over to them and jogging in place.

"I. . . we. . . can't. Dehydrated." Warren said resting her hands on her knees.

"Hey come on, keep moving." Murphy encouraged knowing his best chance was keeping them going so they could protect him. Finally Warren agreed.

"Come on, let's go." she said in a miserable tone. Bailey got up as 10K grabbed his rifle and his bag from the ground beside him. They made their way weaving through the streets taking up the rear of the group.

"This way!" Warren called as she opened a door to a place called 'Dr. Phibes Family Mortuary, County Coroner'. Great.

"Wait!" A man called who was running with a couple of his friends trying to escape the horde. "Don't shoot!" he called as he made it through but his traveling buddies weren't so lucky. Warren was able to shoot one and give him mercy before they slammed the door shut as the zombies pounded against it trying to get in.