S4E09

S4E09:

"Kaya-in-the-Skya requesting emergency assistance. Mayday. Mayday this is Kaya in the Skya –"

"Kaya sounds like she's in real trouble." Doc said sounding frustrated, "Wish we could do something."

"We gotta find a way to boost our radio signal so we can contact her." Warren said as they walked down an abandoned road that got strewn with more and more trash and debris the further they went down it. In addition to the usual apocalypse junk there were random pieces of metal that looked like they'd either been torn apart or blown apart, maybe by an explosion.

"Look, she can't help us, we can't help her, I say we call it even." Murphy said.

"A TV or radio station could give us the boost we need." Sarge suggested as she led their group with Warren.

"What we need is a vehicle." 10K spoke up as he broke off from the group to examine another piece of metal, this one read Action News 9, "Where did this come from? Chopper crash?" he asked pointing to it with his gun.

As they walked they found what looked like might be the tail of a helicopter, or at least a piece of one. When they passed their first car they found the windshield had been punctured by one of the chopper blades.

Murphy put his finger in his ear and started to act like a reporter, not taking anything seriously as usual, "A disabled vehicle on US-41 has traffic moving slower then a clogged artery in a diseased heart. And I-41 is blocked by a horde of zombies. Film, at eleven."

Doc scratched the back of his head at Murphy's imitation and 10K's eyebrows pulled together showing his annoyance. He tried to bite back a harsh comment and let out a long breath before turning away from Murphy and following Sarge and Warren.

"That ought-ta boost our signal." She said as they rounded the next corner and found where the News 9 chopper had come from. A TV station sat across the street with several large satellite dishes on its roof. They followed Warren to the front doors, they passed some concrete planters that had probably looked pretty back in the day but now had 'Green Bay Cheeseheads' graffitied across it in green and yellow - only someone had taken a can of red spray paint and changed the S's to Z's. 10K briefly wondered if it was the same person who had tagged the Liberty Bell, Mt Rushmore and countless other signs they'd been seeing all across the apocalypse.

When they got to the front doors of the building they could see in clearly since they were made of glass, it was impressive that no one had broken in yet since it had clearly something worth protecting inside.

"Barricaded from the inside." Doc said saying what they were all thinking. "Gotta love their optimism."

"Locked in for eight years? This is gonna be like opening up a tomb." Warren said not sounding thrilled at the idea of what inside might smell like.

"No signs of looting so the equipment is likely in good shape." Sarge said looking on the bright side.

"This town musta turned fast." 10K added looking for a way in, the doors seemed fragile enough, "We can break down these doors."

Warren clearly cringed but shot down his idea as politely as she could, "Let's find a way in that doesn't invite anyone to follow."

Then she turned and headed back to the street to scope out their options. They followed her example and split up – not going too far – checking everything they could in the debris to see if there was anything useful they might have initially overlooked.

A bit further down the road was an SUV with the same Action News 9 logo on the side that they decided to take their chances on. If this town had turned fast like 10K thought and it was 'on the way to nowhere' like Murphy was mumbling about then maybe there would still be some supplies that no one had time to loot. Warren broke into the car and started fiddling with the engine trying to hotwire it. After she unlocked all the doors Doc was able to pop the back hatch and they found several duffle bags full of news reporter gear.