S3E07

S3E07:

They walked the rest of the day and the day after it. They passed around the last of the trail mix and water and Doc and Bailey passed around 10K as they helped him walk.

"Whoa easy kid." Doc said as Bailey helped him set 10K down on a curb just outside the grocery store they'd stopped at. He was still so weak and they needed to find a better way of transporting him or else they'd both get wiped out from supporting his weight all day. Doc left to get the nearest shopping cart which was across the parking lot while Bailey stayed with 10K.

"Come here." she said soothingly as she pulled him close to her letting him lean against her with his back to her chest and his head on her shoulder.

"I'm sorry." He muttered still in his druggy fogged up state and her eyebrows scrunched together in confusion.

"For what baby?" she asked as she ran her fingers through his hair.

"Not being stronger." He muttered still seeming so out of it and her heart hurt at his confession, "I was so dizzy." He went on though she had no idea what he meant so she let him keep talking. "On the sub, after I woke up from surgery. The alarm was going off and I knew something was wrong and I had to get out. I couldn't make it. Going down the hall I got so dizzy I had to sit, then I passed out. That's when Murphy must have found me and bit me. I wasn't strong enough to stay awake, then I could have stopped him."

"Tommy, if you hadn't gotten bit Murphy wouldn't have let you on the lifeboat. He would have used his blends to make you stay on the sub, then you would have died there."

He nuzzled into her shoulder, "Better dead then a blend."

She started to get cold like when she was on the beach and thought he had died. That idea that the world seemed so dark and couldn't possibly keep spinning with him gone came back and haunted her. "Don't say that. As long as you're here we can help you, we're going to find Warren and she's going to help us get you better."

"Mmmmm." He mumbled starting to fall asleep.

"Don't go to sleep." She said giving him a small shake to keep him conscious. "Just stay awake until Doc comes back okay Tommy? Then we'll get you in the cart and you can sleep it off."

"Can't." he muttered, his eyes still closed. She rifled through her brain trying to think of something that would keep him awake. Then she leaned down and tilted her head and kissed him. She felt him respond immediately as he turned his head and kissed her back.

"What about if I do that?" she asked when she pulled away and she saw him give a dopey smile.

"Mmm okay." He said before she chuckled and leaned in to kiss him again. 

«»

Eventually, they convinced 10K it'd be easier if he just rode along with them in the shopping cart. Doc pushed the cart and Bailey pulled at the front. They took a big black umbrella when they were lucky enough to find one and opened it and propped it over 10K to keep the hot sun off him as he slept. They had dumped their bags into the cart with him to make the walking easier but Bailey could see that Doc was running out of steam.

"It gets lonely out here in the apocalypse." He said starting a conversation, probably to keep his mind off the heat. "People are getting fewer and fewer and meaner and meaner. You know Kid? Kid? How you feeling?" he asked looking in on 10K who was still out cold, "That's okay you sleep it off. That cocktail I gave you would have whooped my ass too, for sure." Then he sighed, "I dunno how much more of this zombie shit I'm gonna be able to put up with. With Warren and Addy gone, if anything else happened to you two, I might just have to go out in a blaze of zombie glory."