S5E02: Part 10

The extra chapter this week is all thanks to EdenHirshonstahl . You asked, I gave. 😉

S5E02: Part 10

Present

They didn't cuddle like they used to when they finished. Instead 10K stayed lying against the pillows while Bailey sat up bringing her knees and the bed sheet to her chest.

"Maybe we shouldn't have done this." She said drawing his attention, "I mean, it's been two years, we're practically strangers to each other now. A lot has happened." He saw her bring a hand to her marred shoulder as she rubbed at the scarred flesh.

"Yeah. . . you're not blue." He said and she gave a chuckle, "How?"

She laid back, keeping her chest covered by the sheet and rested on her elbow with her hand cradling her cheek, "Should I be honored I made The Man's list?"

"He hunted you?" 10K asked sitting up as his expression became one of horror.

She nodded, "Zona was interested in me after I got a dose of the original cure."

"What was it like? I've heard a lot of different things."

"You know in science class way back Pre-Z when you would dissect a frog? It was like being the frog."

"Did they hurt you?" he asked with a fire in his eyes like he could actually go to Zona and beat them all for her suffering, which was sweet but also impossible.

She turned away from him, "They tested different things on me and when they got it right they used it on Murphy." She gave a humorless chuckle, "Hey at least it worked. Blue wasn't really my color." She tried to joke but 10K didn't laugh. "After I tried to escape they got rid of me, probably Murphy's idea so no one would find out he'd lied about my death, and I woke up back on the mainland. I was alone for a while, then I found Red and we came here –"

"Red's alive?" he asked cutting her off.

"Yeah, she's here, she's fine." She replied but 10K got a look of extreme worry and Bailey knew why, "Yeah, she said about a year after the 5K thing you two finally got together. What took you so long?"

He turned to her surprised, "I thought you died. I wasn't just going to rush into another relationship."

"But a year? In the apocalypse? Why'd you wait that long?"

"It. . . took me that long. . . before my heart healed." He said lying back down on the pillow.

"But Tommy, a year? I mean I'm touched but if I had really died I. . . I would have wanted you to be happy, a lot sooner than that anyway."

He shrugged not making eye contact now, "It just took me a long time before I was ready to open up like that again, and even after all the time that's passed I – I mean I care for Red, I want her to be okay, safe, but I -." He paused and turned to her, "I don't think I'll ever love anyone the way I loved you, the way I still do. Not Red, not Sarge –"

"Sarge? As in the Sergeant that came here with you? You're with her now?" she asked remembering the forms Doc had handed in at the supply building, one of them had listed Sergeant Lily and Bailey had assumed she'd been traveling with them. She wasn't jealous but rather her tone was eager like part of her was happy to finally have something to gossip about, and this was starting to unfold like a soap opera.

"Bailey, we just finished a very very strange mission – even by Delta X-ray Delta standards."

"Yeah and you just wrapped it all up with a one night stand with the ghost of your ex." She said with a smirk, still resting on her elbow as she looked at him.