V01 - Chapter 10 RM

***

--- Fort Alnus ---

May 3rd, 2025

Major Sharpe is in his makeshift office in this large tent. All around are the other Vanguard teams, both the leaders and Logistic Officers.

To his left is Second Lieutenant Charles Johnson and to his right is First Lieutenant Sarah Rose, each doing their paperwork.

He is typing on his laptop, making both Rory Mercury and Lelei La Lalena becomes officially part of the team.

He does not fully understand why he went along with it. Just the other night he wanted to stay away from the three Girls. He is convinced that they stay around him they will end up dead. Rory said that she cannot die, being an Apostle. That her body can regenerate and reattach body parts. However, he instantly came up with a dozen ways for her to be tortured without killing her. All of them worse fate than death.

But after Rory and him spent that night together on the perimeter(1) the other day he feels like he can lead this team. For three months he has had confidence issues in his leadership abilities and now for the first time, he feels like he has a chance.

He sees his inbox and find it full of messages. He opens it and sees some memos, most from what is going on in the war. He sees some personal messages by some friends which he ignores them all.

He looks up and sees Sarah walks up, carrying a box.

Sarah drops the box on his desk. "Damn this is heavy. What is in here?"

He looks at the big box. "I could have gotten it."

"I might have a pretty face Major but that doesn't mean I cannot lift things," Sarah said with a smirk. "What is in it?"

"Books," he replied.

"What kind of books?" Sarah asked.

He leans back in his chair and looks at Sarah. "Some history books, ancient China Europe. Cultural books like Guns, Germs, and Steel."

"I have heard of that book," Sarah said. "By Jared Diamond. It is about how two different civilizations make contact. He explains how if one civilization is able to produce more goods, being more advanced, is able to beat and control a less advanced one. Whoever can make more goods usually wins. Good pick sir."

"I read it once at West Point back in 2013," he responds. "I figured I should reread it while I am here."

"I didn't know you were an intellectual sir," Johnson asked, leaning over his desk.

He looks over. "Those are fighting words Lieutenant. No way in hell I am one of those pencil pushers who make millions of dollars to write books."

"Totally," Sarah said in a sarcastic tone. "You just jump out of airplanes on six grand a month."

"Yup," he said that with pride. He then glances away as he realizes how dumb that arrangement is once you put thought behind it. "Anyway, if we are going to deal with these people, best to get educated on their ways."

"Assuming those books are correct," Johnson said. "All their examples are based on Earth, not this world."

"True," he mumbles. "Still better than nothing. Harper always said be smart."

Sarah opens up the box and then pulls out a manga. "This is educational material?"

"I also asked Andrew to give me a list of material I should look at," he responds. "Never know what might come in handy."