V10 - Chapter 122 Future Lines

*** 

--- Roma Highway, Outpost Alpha Three ---

December 26st, 2025

Specialist Enricho Dias walks up to the observation post that is on top of their sandbag bunker. In both of his hands is a cup of coffee. When he gets up there, he sees his buddy, Corporal Escobar Fernandes. Both are on guard duty at the Brazilian Army checkpoint. Both are on nighttime watch duty.

"Here you go Escobar," He said as he hands him the coffee.

"Thanks, buddy," Escobar said and takes a drink. "Man, I don't remember them saying it will be this cold."

"It is only eleven point six degrees out here," Rodrigo responds.

"Yeah well... I am from a jungle country so screw you," Escobar responds and drinks his coffee.

He sits down and takes a drink. "I have to agree with my friend Italian, it is cold. I am sorry your sorry country is so cold." He then said with a chuckle.

After the Raid of Sadera(1), American Rangers rescued a Brazilian student who was taken in Philadelphia when the Gate appeared. When the student was returned, he was in bad shape. While the government has kept the details on his health, it was cleared that he was a sex slave for one of the Imperial nobles, which seems to be the norm on Falmart.

With that and when the population found out that five American soldiers died in the raid, public opinion in joining in the war against the Empire dramatically increase. The government was hesitated to take any action at first, Brazil not having a tradition of expedition wars. The last time a Brazil Army found in a major war was World War II with the Cobras Fumantes or known as then Smoking Snakes.

However, the government has been wanting to align closer to NATO and the United States.

They knew it was only a matter of time they ended up joining but struggled to reform the military to meet the new needs. What happened to the student only empowered the pro-war faction of the population, pushing the country to declare war and join NATO Expeditionary Force.

"If I knew it was going to be this cold I wouldn't have signed up," He said as a joke. He sees his friend laugh at that.

He turns around and looks at the Italian Corporal Rodrigo Gengo as he sits on the sandbags as he is on watch duty. "Knock it off Brazilian. They have good hearing. Some of them have a great smell too."

Escobar looks over to the Italian soldier. "You sound like you scared of them? They have bows and arrows."

Rodrigo looks directly at both. "This is their country, their planet. We are the unwelcome guest forcing ourselves here. Arrows can still kill. Our armor cannot stop a sword or spear. If you are on patrol and get surrounded, someone will die."

"I was part of the opening stages of taking Elies. We were taking the north flank. While we easily push through their defense, we did lose too many when we had to fight in their trenches. My company lost three men and seven wounded clearing those trenches." Rodrigo explains as he thinks of his fallen.

What Rodrigo said puts some fear into him. He thought with their overwhelming firepower and superior technology that this would be an easy war. "But we are stronger."

"We might be technology stronger but that doesn't mean shit when a sword is coming at you. They have magic and monsters, demigods and more." Rodrigo explains and looks back out into the field and river. "It will be wise for you not to underestimate them. Even a papercut can make you bleed. Just last week A Company up north lost two men on a patrol. While they cannot win a direct fight, that does not mean don't watch your back. If it were not for our technology, we would be getting our asses kicked. These are some determine bastards."