V09 - Chapter 102 New Years Date

*** 

--- Philadelphia, US, Earth ---

December 8th, 2025(1)

"So, the mouse asked the boy for a broom to clean up the hair trimming." Selina says as she reads the book 'If you give a mouse a cookie'. She is sitting on the couch.

Sharpe is on the ground doing sit-ups. As he works out, he is listening to his daughter read out loud as he does his morning workout.

The other day Sharpe got a few new books for her to read. He has been pushing her to read more, to develop those skills. She could tell the reading material she was first starting with was for children far younger than her.

When she first started learning how to read, she honestly hated it. It was hard, the words kept jumbling around and 'English' has all these same words that are spelled differently which confuses her.

Since then, it slowly has been getting easier. At least for her, the words are coming out smoother even though she still doesn't fully like reading. But as long as her adopted father wants her to, she will do it. She really wants to please him and make him happy.

As she turns the page she glances down at her adopted father. Since he came back from the frontlines and coming to Earth, that scary man in her dreams went away. She doesn't understand why that man reappeared, but she is just glad it is over.

"What happens next?" Sharpe asks as he stops and grabs his water bottle. Making sure she continues.

"Oh, sorry," She replies and looks back down to the book and continue reading.

"Then the mouse wants to have a nap but before that, he wants a story before bed," She said but then lowers the book. "Wait a minute. Why is the boy doing all this?"

"Doing what?" Sharpe stops everything and looks to her.

From his facial expression, she can tell there is a lesson he wants her to learn. That's when she realizes that he is testing her. "Oh... ahh... I don't know."

"Then continue." He stands up and starts doing pushups.

She takes a deep breath and glances down at the mouse. "After reading a story the mouse than wanted to draw a picture so they had to get some crayons and paper. Then after the mouse draws the picture, he wanted to put it one the re...reffrator. Refff...grtor." She says frustrated, struggling to pronounce refrigerator.

"Refrigerator," Sharpe corrects

"Ok," She replies as she leans forward to the book. "Refrrrigaerator... So, the mouse needs to find some mag.... Not even going to try."

She then turns the page. As she does, she hears the baby upstairs in the guest bedroom start to cry. Hearing that, she sees an opportunity to stop. "I better go help."

Sharpe stops and sits up, looking directly at her. "Selina. He is not your responsibility. This is homework time."

"But," She said and then sees his reaction. She leans back into her chair and nods her head. "Ok, sir."

"Thank you," Sharpe replies. "I know it is hard. Reading was never that easy for me. That's why I prefer things simple."

She takes a breath and smiles. She glances down and continues reading the book. It did not take long until she finally finished reading it.

She closes the book once she is finished and looks at the cover. She already knows the question he is going to ask her. It is going to be the question she asked him. And he has a rule that no question can go unanswered.