V09 - Chapter 106

***

--- Outskirt of Fortress Legrath, Forward Operation Post ---

December 13th, 2025

Sharpe is sitting down in a Chinook seat, right by the back ramp. To his left is his Vanguard team and across is Vanguard-5.

He looks to the girls and sees them still a bit uncomfortable flying. He knows they will get over it soon enough.

As he looks over, he sees Rory sitting there. He sees that she sees him and gives him a flirtish wink to him. He knows that is her way of relieving tension and stress and allows it. She is an Apostle, after all, it is insane that she listens to him even half of the time. He returns the flirtish wink with his own, forcing her to glance away embarrassed. When they all arrived back to Alnus, he notices Rory was a bit quiet which is unusual for her. He wonders if everything is ok or if he is over reading a situation.

Right in front of him is Captain Bailey, leader of Vanguard-5 team. At Bailey's side is Delilah, dressed in her Ninja gear with a little mix of ours like radios, flashlights, and tactical gear.

She heard of our experiences with Dars in Alguna(1) and the arena at Alguash(2). She claims her people can easily detect these Dar shapeshifters. That information would have been good to know beforehand however it was not like NATO knows what to ask. If he did not see one change for himself, he never would fully believe it.

The Chinook shakes from the intense rain outside.

Two days ago, he was recalled back to the frontlines. He was surprised how long his leave was but when he and Sarah got the call during dinner to return to Alnus. While he did enjoy spending civilian time with his daughter, the girls and to his confusion, the time spent with Lieutenant Sarah.

Regardless he is happy to be back on the field. It feels far more natural and comfortable.

"Sir," Johnson asked, sitting close to him.

He looks to his second in command. "What is it, Lieutenant?"

"Rumor is that you and Sarah...," Johnson begins to say before being interrupted.

"Lieutenant," Sharpe said. "You know my policy about rumors." He said in his cold and commanding tone.

As a rule, he hates to listen to rumors. He has always seen rumors like cancer. They are usually based on nothing or a misunderstanding. It allows people to judge and make up opinions on people's character without any credible facts. On top of that, that might affect how someone sees another person, usually in a negative way. Besides, he sees anyone who is relying on rumors are just being too lazy on finding the truth.

"Sorry sir," Johnson said. "I just wanted to correct the record."

"The record is no," He responds slightly defensive, not enjoying the question. "One that would be unprofessional. Two, she is my-team assistant."

"Roger sir," Johnson replied, slightly shaking his head a bit. "I will lock any chat down."

"Calm down Major," Bailey said, joining in the conversation. "Enlistments talk. You should have heard the stories about you when you were transferred to the Rangers."

He looks over to Bailey, somewhat surprised by what he said. He knows soldiers talk but it never crossed his mind that there was a deeper conversation.

"I will turn this bird around and take you back to base." He said.

"I get paid either way," Bailey said with a chuckle.

"That's fine. You can sit on the couch while we're kicking ass." He states with a smirk. "I will give your command to Johnson."