V07 - Chapter 79 Rose Redemption

***

--- Fort Alnus, 75th Ranger Headquarters ---

September 8th, 2025

At the Ranger office, Sharpe stands by the HUMVEE he has checked out for the day. He wanted to spend the day with Lelei and ask some questions.

During the fight at the fortress and seeing that Dark Elf blocking him somehow, he realized how little he knows about this world. NATO forces have been given many details information from 'experts'. While exploring this world, they have found that much of the fantasy stories have seen matches their stories. However, textbook information does not equal real-life experience, a lesson he knows but did not fully apply here.

Rescuing the High Elf's only succeeded because of last-minute luck and he does not consider that acceptable(1). Spending a little time with Tuka Luna Marceau has made him realize how little he understood this world. The fact NATO has been decisively winning this war has not pushed for them to need to truly learn and understand what is special about this world. Many see it as an exotic thing than a real need.

He wants to get more serious about learning what this world has to offer. That is why he wants to talk with his walking textbook Lelei La Lalen.

Sharpe enjoys having conversations about random topics. When he was in his Delta unit, he talked about space, science, politics, culture, beer, and any other random topic. He missed doing that but has found that Lelei to be a great substitute.

With Selina and Rory Mercury, talking with them keeps the problems of this world alive in his mind. With Lelei, he has found it he can relax more and just enjoy a conversation about whatever, without feeling like the weight of two worlds on his shoulders.

They set a time to meet up today, a time away for him to figure some things out. However, she is thirty-five minutes late and has not responded.

As he leans against the HUMVEE, his foot is tapping as he gets unease, looking out at the military buildings in the distant. He is wondering if something has happened, he heard stories from his team when they went to Italica. How they found some kidnapped kids from both there and here. Since then, they have established some checkpoints on the highways.

He grabs his phone and texts Rory, again. When she does not respond again, he begins to wonder why they are ignoring her. There is no way anyone could have kidnapped Rory, maybe they are angry with him? He thought their relaxing movie day went very well and that they liked it. They deserve to have a good fun day. Maybe he did something wrong or crossed some line.

"Ahh shit..., did I do something wrong? Is this what they call the silent treatment?" He mumbles to himself, trying to rationalize why Lelei is late.

"I am here! I am sorry. I forgot." Lelei said panting, coming around the HUMVEE.

He looks towards her and sees that she is catching her breath.

He smiles, happy nothing bad has happened and that he didn't cross them in some way.

He then reaches into his pocket. "Lelei, catch."

Sharpe then tosses a pair of keys. She looks and catches the keys that he tossed.

"Do you want me to drive?" She asked, slightly confused.

He nods his head and stands fully up now, heading to the passenger seat. "Yes, we are heading out."

"Ahh... ok." She said. She then looks to the Ranger headquarters and then back to the HUMVEE. She then heads to the driver seat and gets inside.

He watches as she adjusts the seat. She then looks at everything, like she is going off some mental checklist. Soon enough they are off.