V03 - Chapter 29 Contact Vilgla RM

***

--- Earth, Philadelphia ---

May 21st, 2025

Ambassador Harland Willington is sitting in the HUMVEE as he is bringing transported through Philadelphia. All around he can still see the reconstruction from the invasion. The death toll has reached ten thousand with thousands of more wounded. Buildings that were flatten during the battle having to be torn apart and rebuilt. The larger ones having to be studied to either be fixed or torn down and replace.

He sees the Army Engineers helping in the process, expanding the area around the Gate. The Gate appeared on a major road, surrounded by buildings. Now the Military is expanding the area to maintain the defense of the Gate.

Two weeks ago, President Emily Potts had summed him to her office. He spent nearly fifteen years working for the State Department, working with nations all around the globe. My most recent post was in Tanzania, helping the Eastern African Community turn itself into the long sought Eastern African Federation in 2023.

That was not an easy assignment, taking years in work. When the State Department thinks about Africa, it usually become single focus, either fighting Terrorists, economic trade, or countering China colonization efforts on the continent. Outside of those three things, the State Department falls far short for Africa.

It is not their fault; they cannot put all your resources everywhere and sadly somewhere must give. Those eastern African nations haven been trying to form a federation for decades now but have failed. In recent years, those nations haven been getting close to unification. Not wanting the Chinese to swoop in and bring them into their sphere of influence, he was task in helping them.

His last assignment was not easy He had almost no support from Washington D.C and little influence in the larger strategy. However, that turned out to be a benefit for me since that allowed him to act more freely and be more flexible in the rules. He was able to convince Tanzania, Kenya, South Sudan, Rwanda, Uganda, and Burundi to rely on U.S. support and use us as a base model for their new nation. It helps that we are the largest Federation on the planet, almost two hundred and fifty years.

As part of President Emily Potts 2024 presidential promise to bring unity and patriotism to the United States she promises to include US territories into States. Puerto Rico became the US fifty-first State in 2021 after a hundred years of attempting. The territory of Guam became the fifty-second State in 2023 because of its strategic location in the Pacific.

After the successful unification in 2024, most of my duties became smoothing everything over. That assignment has been the hardest and most rewarding in my life. His goal was to retire after this assignment, but then the attack in Philadelphia happened.

When he got back to the State Department after the attack, the public view of the department looked very professional, clam, all knowing, the usual. In private, it was in pure chaos. Everyone at the White House was trying to maintain its diplomatic and military relations with all the nations of Earth, make sure that our enemies or allies did not take advance of the situation. Most importantly and only a few people know this, prevent the Russians from nuking the Gate and end what they see as Pandoras Box.

Everyone who was not trying to prevent World War Three from happening was doing research on what just happened and who just attacked us. Usually, they are able to strike very quickly, bring gods hell with us. This time thought, months after the attack and almost nothing has been learned about the Gate.

When the President recalled him from Africa, she and the other Joint Chief of Staff and Cabinet officials where there. Because of his accomplishments with East Africa, they want him to lead the diplomatic effort on the other side of the Gate, currently known as the Special Region. He believes his experience in Africa will be a massive benefit in the Special Region in trying to form friendly relations with the locals.