V08 - Chapter 81

***

--- Fort Alnus, Vanguard-7 Barracks ---

September 22nd, 2025

"Damnit, I want to get back out there." Private First-Class Alicia Moore said as she picks up her hand of cards.

"Knock it off Alicia, you are starting to get annoying." Private Second-Class Scott Marvin said as he lights up a cigar.

She glares at him after hearing that. Since the team arrived back at Alnus, things have been quiet. Besides the basic base personal and security, most of the forces are off in Elies or help our Elbe and Italica allies. "What do you mean starting? It is just, I don't want to miss out on the invasion."

Corporal Andrew Steele walks pass them shirtless, just finishing a workout.

"Hey Corporal, want to join us?" Scott asked, noticing him.

Andrew looks to them. "Sorry guys but I have plans today."

"You are such a wimp Andrew." She responds, just picking on him.

"Yeah, if you join then we can play strip poker," Scott said with a chuckle.

"Keep trying buddy. You are never going to see the goods." She responds, knowing he is just joking.

"Your just afraid that you will lose. Again." Scott shots back, playing a pair of tens, beating her hand.

"Fuck you... We agreed not to bring that night up again." She drops her poker hand on the table.

"Na guys, I am sitting this round out. I am heading out to hunt this boar-like creature." Andrew said as he heads to his bunk.

"I didn't know you hunt. You don't seem like the type." Scott said as he plays bets.

"My dad taught me before he passed away. It has been a while since I been hunting, but Apex needed some help getting food for a Thanksgiving special they are doing." Steele responds.

"I didn't know your dad passed away. I am sorry about that. She responds, looking over to him.

"All good, happened ten years ago. Cancer." Steele responds as he gets his gear on. "And besides, gives me a chance to use my sniper rifle.

"I can't believe it. You read manga, watch anime and you hunt? That is not a combination you see every day." Scott comments.

"Alright, but where is everyone else? Specialist Jerry William loves poker. He loves to lose money at it." She said with a chuckle.

"Hey, are we still playing?" Scott asked, getting annoyed how distracted she is.

"Sorry, here we go." She responds, picking up her new hand.

"The Sergeant Major, he is at the communication center again, talking with his kids," Scott said.

"That is nice of him. I know he has been missing his family." She said as he folds her hand.

She has learned that Randy kept work and family sperate, they all could see he was missing them. It is easy to forget that they are the first Humans from earth to visit an alien world, excluding the moon. She wonders if this is how ancient armies of Earth felt. Being gone years, sometimes decades away from their homes, unable to see or talk with your families.

"What about everyone else?" She asked.

"I think Harvey trying to sway that batgirl(1). You should have seen him out in the forest, love at first sight. And I think Jimmy is taking a class at the hospital. Something about new medicines and techniques from this world." Scott said.