👑 Chapter Two 👑

ISSAC'S POV 

A year ago my whole life took a drastic turn and started going downhill and right now all I desired was some stability. I quit the military, I didn't exactly quit but more like was forced to due to the injury I sustained during my last tour in Afghanistan. I finally decided to move back to Kenya permanently and I recently just lost my grandmother, the closest person to a mother than I had in my life.

I was mixed race with my mom being a Kenyan and my dad was white and from the US. They'd met here in Kenya when my dad had travelled with his parents for a vacation. They fooled around and my mom ended up pregnant with me but by the time she found out about it, my dad was back in the States. She tried to contact him but to no avail. When I was three she left me with my grandmother saying she was going to look for work but she never came back. My grandmother raised me all on her own but when I was about ten she managed to contact my father who came and took me away with him.

He moved me to the States and I grew up there together with him and his new family. They weren't bad but we didn't get along either so I joined the military when I turned eighteen and worked there for about ten years. About a year ago I was caught in an IED explosion that put me in the hospital for months and left me with scars over my whole back and left arm.

When I left the hospital I got news that my grandmother was sick and I flew to Kenya to see her. I always visited her over the years but it was a little hard when I joined the military since I was never on leave for long periods of time. I was just glad to be with her during the last few weeks of her life. She passed away three months ago and my life has been a mess since then. She'd sold all her land to settle the medical bills so I'd been living in my cousins extra bedroom in Nairobi ever since then. I could have gotten my own apartment but all the places I got were either too posh or extremely run down. Even though I had some savings in my bank account they weren't enough to sustain me forever so I needed to find a job and soon.

That was my other dilemma. There weren't too many jobs for a 6'5 mixed male with blue eyes, a heavy build and tattoos covering his whole back and left arm. I'd gotten those to cover my scars,not that I was ashamed of my scars, they just had too many memories that I wasn't fond of. People didn't seem to like the idea of me working for them because I came off as too intimidating due to my height and build. Even getting work in security was hard. Maybe I should just go back to the military. I was good at that. But no, I had promised my grandma to never go back there. She said she had always been worried for me and she'd haunt me if I did go back. I loved her so I'd keep my promise, get a stable job and settle down but the latter had to come first. Yes back to the getting a job part.

I was currently in the living room at my cousins apartment going through some newspapers looking through job advertisements. House Help? Big nope. That was funny even thinking about it, imagining myself with a mop and an apron. Crazy thoughts. Secretary? Even bigger nope. I don't think I could fit behind a desk. It's like there was nothing for me at all.

I heard keys rattling on the door before it swung open revealing my cousin carrying shopping bags in his hands and a newspaper tucked under his arm. I quickly stood up and walked towards him snatching the newspaper away from him and walking back to my seat.

"Izo seriously?" He yelled at me.

"What?" I asked him perusing the newspaper to the vacancies section.

"You could have at least helped with the bags." He replied and I looked at him with a look of realization about what I had done on my face.

I got up again and walked towards him grabbing two bags from him.

"Thank you." He replied sarcastically.

"You're welcome." I replied with a smile that he rolled his eyes at.