xiv. misunderstandings

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧 ─── misunderstandings

flatbush ave., 12th July 2007

, 12th July 2007

"ℌe must be here." The voice whispered and Luke tensed further at the word, before the door paused in opening. Glancing over at Ellie, Luke sent her a reassuring grin as she trembled behind him, her phone clutched in her hand. "I'm sure this is the address. Honest."

"If you're sure." Someone else murmured, and Luke lowered his stance. He wished that he had armor, or even a shirt on, but this would have to do. It was only two attackers, he'd taken on multiple back when he was at Camp, and he was the best fighter that they'd had in 300 years.

He couldn't believe that someone had broken in. What happens if he hadn't of been there?

The door started to open once more, as Ellie got up and hid further behind the bed, ducking down as she trembled. As soon as the bed came into view, the men stopped once more.

"There's no one here." Someone hissed, as Luke's expression only darkened. He was going to take joy hurting these people, especially as they terrified his girl. 

"What?"

"There's no one here. Are we sure we got the right place?" The voice asked again. "Are they on holiday or something?"

Luke held his hand out for Ellie, as she trembled and tried to brush tears from her eyes.

"Bathroom. Now. Lock the door and call Ethan. Not the police, Ethan," He whispered, pressing a kiss to her head as she grabbed the dagger from the top of her dresser.

"What about you?"

"I'll be okay," He could hear them coming back, so he shoved her towards the door, which she closed and locked quietly.

"I'm telling you, he has to be..." He didn't get a chance to finish that sentence, as Luke grabbed him and placed his sword to the man's neck. "What the hell?"

"Take one more move..." Luke let the sentence trail off as he stared at the man in front of him, his eyes narrowed in annoyance. "Now, what the fuck is going on?"

"Sir...we-we're from the army." The man in his grip was shaking like a leaf, as the other made a bolt for the door as quickly as he could. Luke cursed, before someone else spoke.

"Uh, uh, uh," Ethan appeared, a sinister grin on his face, his own sword pointed at the man's chest. "Where do you think you're going? We were just getting acquainted."

"Thank you for calling Ethan." Luke sighed, rubbing his forehead. Ellie was wrapped around him like a koala, shaking slightly. The two demigods who had been looking to speak with Luke were outside, getting shouted at by Ethan.

It turned out that Ethan wasn't all that perceptive and, after Luke had gone no contact, the two being sent to find him had just tailed the son of Nemesis to Ellie's house. Luke had not been impressed.

Luke pressed another kiss to Ellie's head, the poor girl still shaking.

"I thought you were going to get hurt, that they were monsters." She murmured, as Luke hummed and placed a kiss to her hands, rubbing a soothing finger along the back of them. Ellie looked up, finding her boyfriend's eyes. "Who are they?"

"People from work, looking for me."

"Your work includes breaking and entering?"

"Not normally." Luke sighed. "I'll get it dealt with. They didn't know you existed, and thought it was just me. I'm sorry, Ellie."

"It's alright. Just gave me a fright."

"I'll have them punished." Luke smiled at his girlfriend, placing his sword onto the countertop as Ellie settled in between his legs, wrapping her arms around his waist tightly. 

"You don't need to punish them."

"Discipline?" Luke queried as Ellie snorted. "What? They upset you and quite frankly, they shouldn't have broken into your house regardless of what they deemed the emergency to be. It was most likely something stupid."

"What if it wasn't?"

"I still would give no fucks." Luke cussed, causing Ellie to lean back and stare at him. "What?"

"I didn't know it annoyed you that much."

"Hm?"

"You only ever cuss when you're really annoyed or upset about things." Ellie pointed out, eyes narrowing. "It was a simple misunderstanding, nothing more."

"A misunderstanding that caused you fear. You shouldn't have to be that terrified, or think that there's ever a possibility that two guys are going to break into your house again, looking for me."

"I actually wasn't thinking about that but now you've mentioned it, I am." Ellie panicked internally at the thought. "Why'd you have to mention that?"

"I thought's that what you were scared of?"

"I hadn't thought that far ahead!" Ellie replied, taking a deep breath.

"You two need to stop giving each other existential crisis'." Ethan walked back in, rolling his eyes at the pair. "I've dealt with it. Chill."

"How can I chill? Are more of your 'work colleagues' gonna be breaking into my house?"

"Nope." Ethan shook his head. "I've told them that I'm the liaison between Luke and them when they can't find him so it will only be me breaking into your house."

"Don't you have a key?" Luke questioned.

"Yes, but that's beside the point." Ethan waved it away once more, before grinning. "I think us tying them up truly scared them."

"You tied them up? Where did you get the rope?" Ellie questioned. "I know for a fact that there's no rope in this house, so why did you two bring that?"

"Bella, there are some things that you just have to keep on you at all times in life,"

"What? Rope?" She raised an eyebrow, the shaking in her hands subsiding slightly. "Are you going to fall off a cliff at any given point in time?"

"You never know, Bella," Ethan grinned, before tapping his head. "You got to expect the unexpected. Yeah?"

"You're a complete idiot," Luke snorted at Ellie's words, as Ethan turned around to try and hit him. The man dodged as the tension in the room lessened, and Luke's brain finally moved away from the 'what if' questions.

"Words hurt, Bella, it hurts me right here,"

"Ethan, your heart's on the other side of your chest."

"Shut up! I knew that!" He turned around to try and hit Luke, who dodged once more wondering why he was the one getting hit if it was Ellie who was insulting Ethan.

"I'm not even the nurse student and I knew that." Ethan's glare intensified.

"I don't like spending time with you two," They both laughed. "All you ever do is make me feel single and bully me."

Hiya,

Ethan is a complete dork but also, he and Luke are great fun and no one can convince me otherwise. Also, Luke and Ellie giving each other existential life crisis is so amusing. Ethan and Ellie are so funny, and the trio is generally hilarious together, which I love.

Let me know what you think,

Love Li xx