liii. arabella castellan

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 ─── arabella castellan

7th Avenue, 3rd September 2009

"𝔚ell, this is the final one." Percy muttered, folding the paper carefully and then setting the letter into the box. Each letter was left exactly as they found it, along with the photos and memorabilia that was in the storage container. "I've called my mom. She's gonna come give us a lift to Arabella's house."

"There's another letter." Annabeth muttered, and even to her own ears, she sounded muted. This entire experience had slowly drained any of her emotions that she had left.

"Who's it for?" Thalia asked, reaching to take it from Annabeth's hands.

"Arabella."

"It's got her address on it." Thalia was running her fingers across Luke's writing, that printed out his wife's name and address with a grace that none of them knew he had. It meant that he had taken his time. "Feels kind of heavy."

"It's not ours to open." Annabeth stated, watching the Huntress. Somewhere, past the haze of sadness, Annabeth was wondering whether or not Thalia wished that the letter was to her. She still felt that the girl had some feelings for Luke, despite now knowing that he had a wife and kids. "I suppose we should go and meet Arabella then."

"Let's." Thalia reached down for the trunk, pulling it into her arms and walking out of the door as Annabeth carefully held the final letter for Arabella.

"Come on." Percy touched her back gently, smiling and leading her out of the door. "You did really well today, Annabeth."

"What?" She turned, watching Percy pull the door shut.

"You did really well. I can imagine that this was painful to look through all of Luke's things, but I'm proud of you."

"Thank you." Annabeth smiled, letting Percy press a soft kiss to her forehead.

"Come, let's go and get my mom to take us to Arabella." Percy placed a hand on her back, leading her out of the storage unit. The receptionist sent them a sad smile, watching them head out onto the streets of New York that were slowly dimming with the setting sun. Sally Jackson was waiting outside, a worried expression plastered on her face.

"Are you two okay? What's going on? Thalia wouldn't say anything." Sally reached for the pair, looking them up and down to make sure that they were alright physically.

"Yeah, mom. Just found out some sad news, that's all." Percy muttered, opening the door for Annabeth. "There's someone who lost a loved one in the war and doesn't know yet. So, we've got to go and visit them."

Annabeth sat down beside Thalia, still feeling numb, as Percy closed the door and continued to talk with his mom. She didn't even notice the car beginning to move.