xlvii. shadows

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 ─── shadows

new york, 18th may 2009

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

"𝔄ll I'm saying, is that surely you could just help me drop out of school and everything would be all sorted?" Alabaster muttered, following Ellie around with the trolley as he made faces at a giggling Wren and Alex. "It would be a lot easier."

"What about Leah? She'd miss you and your other friends." Alabaster scoffed, before standing beside Ellie and glaring at a man who leered too closely at his mother, "and you need an education. I'm not going to let you drop out of school."

"Why?"

"I've just told you why." Alabaster groaned again, as Ellie rolled her eyes and checked to see that Beans were still sleeping. She motioned for them to turn back to checkout. "What is so bad that you can't go?"

"It's school." Ellie raised an eyebrow not taking it as a good answer, "and I might have messed things up slightly."

"What happened?" Ellie produced her card, paying quickly as Alabaster put the things back in the cart.

"Don't worry about it." They started out to the car park, as Ellie placed a slice of apple into both of her children's hand, giving Alabaster a chocolate bar. "Seriously."

"Well, now I am worried about it." Ellie shrugged, opening the car as they put everything away. She sent her eldest off with the trolley as she put both of her children into their car seat. When Alabaster jumped into the car, Ellie turned to him. "Come on, Al. It's just me."

"Fine, I think I messed things up with Leah," Ellie narrowed her eyes, turning to look at her adopted son with furrowed eyebrows, before focusing back on the road. "You can't tell anyone about this?"

"Of course I won't," Ellie replied, reaching over to squeeze his hand. "Who am I gonna tell? Cai?"

Alabaster grinned momentarily, before falling back into annoyed, angsty teenager state.

"Okay, so, what happened?"

"Leah has a crush on me?" Ellie nodded. It didn't really surprise her. She had seen the look of jealousy on the girl's face when the others came round for a group project, and the look of hurt when Alabaster had mentioned how annoying people with crushes on him were. Oh, to be an oblivious fool as her son obviously was. "Her friends told me and now I don't know what to do."

"Why?"

"Because I might have kissed another girl in front of her." Ellie shot him a look from the corner of her eyes. 

"Okay, can I ask why you did that?"

"Because I thought she didn't like me so I was trying to get over her, and kissed another girl, then the day after her friend was annoyed with me and told me that Leah had a crush on me and now I've screwed everything up." Alabaster sighed. "So please, don't make me go back to school."