xxxii. unwanted visitors

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐰𝐨 ─── unwanted visitors

New York, 16th September 2008

ℑt was disconcerting to say the least, waking up with her husband not by her side, especially when she'd gone to be with him there the night before

ℑt was disconcerting to say the least, waking up with her husband not by her side, especially when she'd gone to be with him there the night before. Cai was doing his best to try and be of use, resting his head on her stomach and cuddling closer, but it wasn't the same as Luke. 

She didn't like it.

"Morning," Ellie looked up, watching the two older men in her house with narrowed eyes, still unsure of what to make of them. Hermes was nursing a cup of coffee, his entire form hunched over as he thought, whilst Apollo cooked breakfast with a grin.

"Hi, Arabella," Apollo placed a smoothie and a plate of food in front of the woman, who watched it suspiciously. "How did you sleep? Was everything alright? Did anything happen with the babies?"

"You're hounding her with questions again." Hermes pointed out, as Apollo grinned sheepishly.

"Sorry."

"I'm good." Ellie nodded, taking a sip of the smoothie, that worked to sooth all the worry and fear in her stomach. As her anxiety calmed, the babies did too, not moving around as much in her stomach. "Have you heard anything about the boys?"

"They're imprisoned under false charges," Hermes replied, downing the coffee before he started to talk once more. "Hopefully, they'll be out by this afternoon, should everything be processed correctly."

"I'm just not even sure how this happened," Ellie ran a hand down her face, before demolishing the plate of food that was in front of her. "We've never been on the police radar's before, apart from that one time we almost burnt a building down, so what happened now?"

"How did you almost burn down a building?" Apollo chuckled, placing more food onto her plate. "You, Darling, are a lot of fun."

"Thanks?" Ellie continued to eat the food on her plate, looking at Hermes with a raised eyebrow.

"We know just as much as you do," Hermes replied. "I just got a text from Luke asking me to come to the house because the police were there."

"He said you guys weren't close." Ellie stated. "In fact, I'm pretty sure Luke's told me that he'd happily spit on your grave before, and that you disowned him."

Hermes winced. He did deserve that.

"We might not be close, but he's still my son, and if he needs me, then I will be there to help him. And, for the record, I have not disowned Luke, as much as I know he wants me to." Hermes replied, before a knock sounded at the door. "Were you expecting anyone today?"

"No, not at all," Ellie replied, as Hermes and Apollo tensed up. "Could it be the boys back early?"

"Unlikely," Apollo replied. The knocks sounded again, more frantic this time. "You should probably go and answer that."